Abraham Maslow (1908 - 1970) was a famous psychologist known for his humanistic tendencies. He created the "Hierarchy of Needs" in 1954 which he stated showed the basic needs of all human beings in a pyramid structure with the most basic needs at the bottom and the higher cognitive needs at the top. In 1970 he made additional editing to his pyramid.
His "Hierarchy of Needs" is still studied in psychology courses today.
Five stages of Hierarchy of Needs
- 5) Self Actualization - following/doing your inner desires
- 4) Esteem - Self-respect, autonomy, status, achievement, recognition, attention
- 3) Social - Affection, belonging, acceptance, friendship
- 2) Safety - Security, protection from physical and emotional harm
- 1) Physiological - Hunger, thirst, shelter, sex