Am Govt Homework 1 Answers - Student Two
1. Why is it important to participate in politics?
It is important to participate in politics because the people elected are representatives of those who vote. If one does not vote, one should not complain. Politics is a team sport essentially, and that includes voting, fundraising for candidates, staying informed about the issues, etc.
- Good answer, and you might include the need to inform and educate others about important issues.
2. Briefly describe (in only a few words) the first three Articles of the U.S. Constitution, and explain which of these establishes the authority for the Executive branch. How many sections does this Article have?
Article one establishes the Legislative Branch, Article two establishes the Executive Branch (four sections), and Article three establishes the Judicial Branch.
- Correct, but usually "Article one" is written as "Article I" (Roman numeral). (-0.5)
3. Which part of the U.S. Constitution establishes that only a natural born citizen may become president of the United States? (a) Article I, Section 3, clause 1 (b) Article II, Section 1, clause 3 (c) Article II, Section 1, clause 5 (d) Article II, Section 4 (e) Article IV, Section 1
4. Please identify a portion of the acceptance speeches of Mitt Romney or Barack Obama that was designed to improve their poll numbers with a particular demographic group (e.g., women, Hispanics, the elderly, independent voters, etc.)?
"It is what brought us to America. We are a nation of immigrants. We are the children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the ones who wanted a better life, the driven ones, the ones who woke up at night hearing that voice telling them that life in that place called America could be better."
This was designed to improve Romney's lacking poll numbers with Hispanics, in order to present the GOP as the party of legal immigration, rather than the anti-illegal immigration party.
- Terrific analysis, although I think Romney was trying to build an image for himself, rather than for the GOP. His treatment of Akin illustrated how Romney cares most about his own campaign. If he loses, then I wouldn't expect him to remain active in the GOP. (-0.5)
5. If a police officer pulls over a car on the New Jersey Turnpike, which part of government does that police office likely work for? Explain your answer, and include one or two other examples of government workers and which government they work for.
The officer likely works for the New Jersey State Police, in the state government. A public school teacher works for the local government, and so do the local police officers.
- Excellent work. Overall score: 49/50.--Andy Schlafly 20:42, 15 September 2012 (EDT)