Amazon.com, founded by liberal Jeff Bezos is the United States' largest online retailer. After being founded in 1995, the company did not make its first quarterly profit until 2001. If individuals make purchases from Amazon Smile, the company donates a portion of the sale to a charity of the buyer's choice, such as International Christian Concern.
The company has expanded from reselling goods to designing and manufacturing electronics. It started with the Amazon Kindle e-book reader in 2007, and has grown to include multifunctional Amazon Fire tablets, Fire TV and Fire Phone brand smart phones. Amazon is also a major provider of cloud computing services.
In 2013, Amazon launched the "Amazon Prime" paid membership service which provides free shipping to its members as well as free online access to movies and archived television programs.
- Saul Hansell (Jan 23 2002). TECHNOLOGY; A Surprise From Amazon: Its First Profit (English). New York Times. New York Times Co.. Retrieved on Apr 26 2009.
- Holiday, Ryan (30 September 2014). Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising. Penguin Group US. ISBN 9780698176911. Retrieved on 31 October 2014. “You can set up a special subdomain on your ecommerce site where a percentage of every purchase users make goes to a charity of their choice (which is what Amazon did with Smile.Amazon.com this year to great success, proving that even a successful company can find little growth hacks).”
- Isaac, Mike. "LivingSocial Receives $175 Million Investment From Amazon", Forbes, December 2, 2010. Retrieved on February 6, 2014.
- Twitter And Amazon Join Forces (15 May 2014). Retrieved on 31 October 2014. “In a recent announcement Amazon made it’s affiliation with Twitter public. It will allow it’s users to buy products using a hashtag. The service is already available in the US and United Kingdom.”
- Domainnamewire.com. Wow: Amazon.com buys .Buy for $4.6 million, .Tech sells for $6.8 million.
- Uttamujjwal.com. .Buy Domain Sold to Amazon.com for $4,588,888.