American Government Homework Ten
This week has more reading than usual, but easier questions. Read the chapter on “Interest Groups,” pp. 159-63 in the textbook (if you have not already read it). Then complete and self-grade the multiple choice questions. Then read the chapter on “Civil Liberties,” pp. 169-74 in the textbook. Then complete and self-grade the multiple choice questions.
Questions 1-7 are worth 3 points each.
1. People hired and paid by interest groups to try to influence congressmen and the president are called __________.
2. Name an interest group you would support, and one you would oppose.
3. Federal courts are requiring the removal of the Ten Commandments from state property based on the ____________ Clause.
4. Suppose a man went running through a big airport shouting “I am a terrorist.” Should that be free speech protected by the First Amendment? Add a sentence explaining why.
5. A few states have passed laws requiring abortion clinics to inform their customers that abortion increases the risk of breast cancer. Do you see anything wrong or unconstitutional about those laws? Might the Supreme Court invalidate them anyway?
6. “And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marveled at him.” (Mark 12:17 KJV). Do you think this is more like the Establishment Clause or the Free Exercise Clause? Explain.
7. Do you think students in public school should have a right to free speech? Explain.
Extra credit (5 points):
8. What is "incorporation doctrine"?