American History Homework Three Answers - Student Four
JessieH -IN PROGRESS-
1. 1) Foreign policy. Because of our small size, we had issues with gaining respect from Britain. We were weaker then Britain, and had a more loosely fitted government, and therefor, we received little respect. 2) They created a weak government. For the most part, the states retained most of the power for themselves.
- Good, but more specificity is needed. (Minus 1).
2. Identify the first three Articles of the Constitution, and what each Article establishes.
1)'The Stile of this Confederacy shall be 'The United States of America.' (The union of the confederation) 2) 'Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.' (Freedom of the states) 3) ' The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever.' (The union of the states)
- That's from the Articles of Confederation, not the Constitution. Please be careful to understand what the question asks, before answering it. (Minus 2).
3. Explain what you like most about George Washington. I like him because he obviously had some boldness to go where no man had gone before. To be the President of the United States was a new thing. No President came before him, so he probably had no example, and no role model.
- Superb point.
4. Describe the most important invention of the 1790s, and its political impact. The Cotton gin. It could do the work of about 50 men, so it greatly increased the amount of cotton that could be produced, and therefor bettering the south.
5. Explain the political view expressed by this week's cartoon, and which side of what issue the cartoonist likely represents. Maybe it's Massachusetts Trying to display the weakness of the other states, and the Articles of Confederation.
- Nice try, but not quite right. It's about the Constitution. (Minus 2).
6. Describe two significant achievements of The Northwest Ordinance. 1) The statehoods of: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. 2) It made a way for states to be made in an orderly, and peaceful fashion.
- Good, but a bit redundant. It accomplished other things also.
7. Describe what you think was most significant about John Adams' presidency. I can't really think of much of anything. I guess the fact that he was the second president who had to live up to the great first president, states something about him.
- Could say more. (Minus 1).
(I was trying to get back on my feet after a few bad weeks of school, so I didn't get to honors this week, but I'll do them after today simply so I can keep on the Honors track. If you'd like, I'll show them to you next week to prove that I've done them)
- OK, that's fine!
- Score: 64/70.--Aschlafly 21:02, 2 October 2008 (EDT)