|Born|| February 1, 1969 |
|Died|| March 1, 2012 |
Los Angeles, California
|Spouse||Susannah Bean Breitbart|
Andrew James Breitbart (pronounced BRIGHT-bart) (b. February 1, 1969 - March 1, 2012) was one of the most outspoken conservative journalists in America.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career Accomplishments
- 3 Death and legacy
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Videos
- 6 See Also
- 7 References
- 8 External Links
He was the founder of the Breitbart News Network: Breitbart.com, Breitbart.tv, BigJournalism.com, BigHollywood.com, BigPeace.com, BigGovernment.com and, BigEducation.com. His weekly columns appeared in the Washington Times and he was formerly a protégé of Matt Drudge's Drudge Report. He co-wrote a best-selling attack on celebrity culture called Hollywood, Interrupted. Breitbart worked with Arianna Huffington for a time to help create the Huffington Post, and was also a contributor to other conservative websites. His website "Big Hollywood" grew out of his column in the Washington Times with the same name. Breitbart was a very visible member of the conservative media, constantly going after the liberal power structure and the mainstream media and was responsible for bringing ACORN to its knees with undercover journalism. Breitbart received the Reed Irvine Accuracy In Media Award at CPAC in 2010.
In 2011, Breitbart authored the book Righteous Indignation. Opening rank on Amazon.com #10 and #14 on the New York Times. In it, he cites Camille Paglia's book Sexual Personae as having a profound effect on his thinking. Other influences include Clarence Thomas, Rush Limbaugh, and his Father-in-Law Orson Bean.
He was born on February 1, 1969, and raised in Brentwood, California, by adoptive parents Gerald and Arlene Breitbart. In his book Righteous Indignation, he described his life growing up. His parents lived in an elite neighborhood, which he fondly recalled more like the neighborhoods of E. T. or The Brady Bunch. He described how his parents did not agree with the over-the-top, leftist beliefs that they were surrounded with in their neighborhood. Breitbart noted that his family did not succumb to celebrity worship. His dad Gerald in particular would always say "All of my customers are the same. I don't care about those things."
As a teenager, he worked as a pizza delivery boy at a local shop, Maria's, that he describes as "the greatest job I have ever had", which allowed him to deliver pizzas to some of the most famous people in the world. He was a fan of Alternative rock, including acts such as the The, The Jam, Paul Weller, The Style Council, and Depeche Mode.
In 1991, he graduated from Tulane University.
- Main article: ACORN
His greatest success was undercover journalism performed by his employees James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles against ACORN. He believed that the ACORN scandal "represented the Abu Ghraib of the Great Society".
Breitbart's associates filmed ACORN giving advice on setting up brothels involving underage prostitution trafficking as well as tax evasion tips at four ACORN offices around the country. In a brilliant strategy, he would release one tape which ACORN would dismiss. Then other tapes to stir the pot. A fourth tape was released that turned into a national firestorm which bypassed the corrupt media who refused to cover the liberal-aligned group. The outrage that followed forced Congress to defund ACORN and Breitbart is credited with having them removed from partnering with the Obama Administration on the 2010 Census. Wade Rathke, ACORN founder, and Bertha Lewis, his puppet CEO had to change the name of the organization because Breitbart's work had sullied their image. State affiliates reorganized under new names in New York and California, others were banned from operating in Ohio and Maryland. Breitbart put ACORN on the defensive which is still reeling from his work and has announced it's closing business, bankrupt.  .
2010 Annual NAACP Conference
The day after the NAACP issued a statement calling the Tea Party movement racist, Breitbart showcased the power of conservative media by releasing video footage showing Shirley Sherrod of the USDA addressing a past NAACP conference about how she acted in a racist manner to offer very minimal help to a bankrupt farmer because he was Caucasian. The video went viral and the White House got involved to make Sherrod resign. 
Liberal Democrat Rep. Anthony Weiner used Twitter to send lewd photos of himself. Breitbart exposed this act, dubbed WeinerGate. Weiner tried to deny it was him, blamed he was hacked by conservative vandals and stated in public that Breitbart was lying. As the story went nationwide, Weiner was pressured to step down. Weiner arranged a conference in New York. Weiner was late to the conference, and Breitbart showed up and took the microphone to denounce Weiner, demanding an apology. Weiner showed up and announced he had lied and was retiring. Also, he apologized to Breitbart.
John Lewis, n-word Confrontation
After a series of effective town hall protests, Tea Party activists were labeled as racist by journalists and Representative John Lewis made a claim that he was called the n-word by someone in a crowd. Breitbart stepped up and challenged them, and offered a reward of $100,000 dollars for proof that such a thing was said. That reward was never claimed, no proof was ever offered.
Breitbart wrote: "Nancy Pelosi did a great disservice to a great civil rights icon by thrusting him out there to perform this mischievous task. His reputation is now on the line as a result of her desperation to take down the Tea Party movement."
The Love Song of Saul Alinsky
At the time of his passing, Breitbart was working on a series that included an exposé on the work The Love Song of Saul Alinsky. Barack Obama participated in the panel discussion when the Song was released in 1998. Breitbart intended for this expose to be a larger part of a continued vetting process he was going to do because the larger Mainstream Media had no interest in doing its job. Breitbart found a poster for the Song play, and described it this way:
It’s red—and that right there, like the darkening water that swirls down Janet Leigh’s drain [in Psycho’s famous shower scene], is plenty suggestive. It touts a play called The Love Song of Saul Alinsky, Alinsky being the notorious community organizer from Chicago who wrote books with titles like Reveille for Radicals and Rules for Radicals. On it, fists are raised—meaning insurrection is in the air.
And down at the very bottom, crawling across the poster in small print, it mentions the panel discussions that will follow the Sunday performances. The panelists are that era’s usual “progressive” suspects: Leon Despres, Monsignor Jack Egan, Studs Terkel...And state senator Barack Obama.
National Tea Party Convention 2010
Breitbart gave a keynote speech at the National Tea Party Convention, in which he talked about the deceit of the journalist establishment and their "contempt for the American people." He said: "It’s not your business model that sucks, it’s you that sucks!"
Breitbart was video taped going after liberal columnist Blumenthall, calling him a "despicable human being" for writing lies, treating James O'Keefe as racist, a now common liberal media attack weapon. He was not afraid to confront dishonest journalists and their corrupt reporting. He gave speeches talking about the mainstream media saying "The Gig Is Up - You’re Not on the American Team."
At the conference, Breitbart called out New York Times reporter Kate Zernike for her attempt at playing the race card on fellow conservative activist Jason Mattera for what she claimed was a "Chris Rock voice". Breitbart called out Zernike as "a despicable human being"
Out in the lobby of the conference, Breitbart was caught on film calling out Max Blumenthal for using his reporting to smear James O'Keefe as a racist. Breitbart said that he was "using Alinsky tactics to destroy people". Larry O'Connor caught up with Blumenthal and got him to admit to playing the race card, and Blumenthal eventually made a quick exit out the front.
Major conservative groups are backing out of the annual conference to protest the inclusion of the gay group GOProud. Breitbart defends their inclusion and he planned to throw a party for gay conservatives at CPAC. "I'm working on getting a venue," he said. "The first annual Roy Cohn CPAC Breitbart Homocon Welcoming 80's Extravaganza. I'm thinking of DJ-ing." 
A major speech from Breitbart with many revelations. First, he wants the public not to be afraid to call Barack Obama a "Radical". Next, he described his dinner with domestic terrorist Bill Ayers. Third, that he has video tapes from Obama's days at college. Breitbart will expose the radical Obama and his radical ties that the Lamestream media knowingly suppressed from the public. 
Death and legacy
On March 1, 2012, he was rushed to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center after collapsing while taking his dog on a walk in his neighborhood. It was announced shortly after that Breitbart had passed away during the night at the age of 43, from heart failure. He was well liked, and was known for having a good sense of humor and being a prankster.
Breitbart is Here
Since Breitbart's passing, he has become something of a martyr for those who would challenge the journalist establishment and seek to engage in "citizen journalism". His likeness has become an image that is seen around the internet under the heading of "Breitbart is Here",, and shortly after his passing, Bill Whittle, who was a close personal friend of Andrew's, proclaimed that "We Are All Breitbart Now, which is an attempt to fill his shoes now that he is gone. Whittle says that it would take more than a thousand to fill the void that has been left behind.
Posthumous release of 'Obama Harvard Tapes'
Despite Breibart's tragic death on March 1, 2012, the video he had from Obama's college days at Harvard were released on Hannity on March 6th. Commonly known as the 'Obama college video', it depicts Obama speaking at a rally in 1991 held for liberal Professor Derrick Bell, a longtime racist who built an academic career out of accusing the majority of Americans of being racist and discriminatory to him with no evidence for his accusations. In the course of the rally, Obama praises Bell's views and commitment, and then embraces the "Jeremiah Wright of Academia" . Liberals seeking to cover up the mounting evidence of Obama's hatred for America and conservative values led a massive smear campaign against Breitbart and attempted to portray the tapes as a non-issue.
On October 19, 2012, the documentary Hating Breitbart was released. The documentary focuses on what Breitbart called the Democrat-Media Complex. The documentary recaps the many accomplishments in the last few years of his life, including his work assisting Lila Rose with work on early undercover videos of Planned Parenthood, the sting on ACORN which ultimately took that organization down, defending conservative activists against false allegations involving the use of the "n-word", and Breitbart's many, many efforts to help conservatism on the ground from support at rallies and other efforts to stand up to bullies who were so used to getting away with it. Underneath the singular yet repeated accomplishments there is a clear shift that has occured from the old media to the new media, and the documentary does a good job of highlighting that shift.
- "Telling the truth is fun."
- "I only have two speeds, jocularity and righteous indignation."
- "The army of the emboldened and gleefully ill-informed is growing."
- "Walk toward the fire. Don't worry about what they call you. All those things are said against you because they want to stop you in your tracks. But if you keep going, you’re sending a message to people who are rooting for you, who are agreeing with you. The message is that they can do it, too."
- "Feeding the media is like training a dog - You can't throw an entire steak at a dog to train it to sit. You have to give it little bits of steak over and over and over again until it learns."
- "Stop raping people! Stop raping the people! You freaks! You filthy, filthy, raping, murdering freaks!" - after reports of sexual assaults at Occupy Wall Street protests.
- "I stand by what I’ve done. The NAACP in our time has absolutely changed its methodology and its mission and has become a military, militaristic, Saul Alinsky arm of the Democratic party. What they do and do not do to conservative black people in a shame on America and a pox on their organization.... They’ve created an entire paradigm to invent racism on the right in order to intimidate people into silence."
- "I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and - famously - I enjoy making enemies."
- "The person that made this new pursuit of intellectual engagement invigorating and sexy was Camille Paglia. Her book, Sexual Personae, made me realize how little I really had learned in college."
- "The thing is that Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann represent an existential threat to the Democratic Party the way that 20 years ago Clarence Thomas as a black man represented to liberals and the Democrat Party."
- "In order to create the perception that the minority is the majority and the majority is not just the minority, but a bad, racist, homophobic, all those buzzwords that they learned in the freshman orientation class at Wesleyan, are used as weapons to try to destroy you and intimidate you to not speak up and to speak your mind."
- "I must say, in my non-strategic... ‘cuz I’m under attack all the time, if you see it on Twitter. The (unclear) call me gay, it’s just, they’re vicious, there are death threats, and everything. And so, there are times where I’m not thinking as clearly as I should, and in those unclear moments, I always think to myself, ‘Fire the first shot.’
Bring it on. Because I know who’s on our side. They can only win a rhetorical and propaganda war. They cannot win. We outnumber them in this country, and we have the guns. (laughter) I’m not kidding. They talk a mean game, but they will not cross that line because they know what they’re dealing with.
And I have people who come up to me in the military, major named people in the military, who grab me and they go, ‘Thank you for what you’re doing, we’ve got your back.’
They understand that. These are the unspoken things we know, they know. They know who’s on their side, they’ve got Janeane Garofalo, we are freaked out by that. When push comes to shove, they know who’s on our side. They are the bullies on the playground, and they’re starting to realize, what if we were to fight back, what if we were to slap back?"
- "I am saying, why didn’t we invest 20 years ago in a movie studio in Hollywood, why didn’t we invest in creating television shows, why didn’t we create institutions that would reflect and affirm that which is good about America?"
- "Big Hollywood is not a "celebrity" gabfest or a gossip outpost - it is a continuous politics and culture posting board for those who think something has gone drastically wrong and that Hollywood should return to its patriotic roots."
- "You send your kids off to college. They love you. You walk away with a Cornell mom T-shirt. You are walking away going this is great, and come Thanksgiving, your kid tells you that you are an imperialist and a racist and a homophobe. That is not worth $120,000."
- Andrew Breitbart Shuts Down Max Blumenthall at CPAC
- Andrew Breitbart CPAC 2010 Speech PART 1 (1 of 2)
- Andrew Breitbart CPAC 2010 Speech PART 2 (2 of 2)
- Andrew Breitbart received the Reed Irvine Accuracy in Media Award at CPAC
- Andrew Breitbart confronts David Shuster lies from MSNBC
- Full Speech: Andrew Breitbart at CPAC 2012, The Right Scoop
- Andrew Breitbart
- Andrew Breitbart: Jewish, Irish, and Uniquely American, Breitbart.com
- BREITBART: A million stories to tell, Washington Times
- Enlisting In Breitbart's Culture War, Breitbart.com
- Andrew Breitbart, Marc Morano to Receive Reed Irvine Accuracy in Media Awards, Accuracy In Media
- Righteous Indignation, page 34
- How Limbaugh, Thomas, Bean produced conservative warrior Andrew Breitbart
- In Memoriam: Gerald Breitbart (1932-2013)
- The Citizen Journalist, The fast, fun career of Andrew Breitbart
- Righteous Indignation, page 15
- He mentions one celebrity by name, Judge Reinhold, who would give big delivery tips.
- Righteous Indignation, page 17
- Conservative Journalist Andrew Breitbart Dies From 'Natural Causes' At 43, The Christian Post
- My Boy, Sweet Andrew, by Orson Bean. Breitbart.com
- DEVASTATING: Andrew Breitbart, R.I.P., Michelle Malkin
- Breitbart supporters set up trust fund for late commentator's children
- My Weekly Date with a Conservative, Breitbart.com
- Things Andrew Breitbart doesn’t care for, Salon.com
- ACORN Closing in Wake of Scandal, FOX News, March 22, 2010
- Obama Administration Stands By Decision to Fire Sherrod, BigGovernment.com, July 20, 2010
- No More Beer Summits: Tea Party 'N-Word' Incident Didn't Happen, And the Congressional Black Caucus Owes America an Apology
- MSNBC Panelist Insists Tea Partiers Used N-Word Despite Breitbart $100K Challenge
- Barack Obama's Helter-Skelter, Insane Clown Posse, Alinsky Plans to 'Deconstruct' America
- In Story Written Just Before His Death, Andrew Breitbart Exposes Barack Obama and “The Love Song of Saul Alinsky” – Poster
- The Vetting, Part I: Barack's Love Song To Alinsky, Breitbart.com
- Andrew Breitbart on C-Span
- Andrew Breitbart Santa Ana Ca. Tea party
- Tea Party on Tax Day In DC, Andrew Breitbart Addresses Media, April 15 2010
- Andrew Breitbart at Beverly Hills Tea Party 2010
- Breitbart's Keynote Address To The First National Tea Party Convention
- Breitbart to Media at Tea Party Convention: 'It's Not Your Business Model That Sucks, It's You That Sucks!'
- Breitbart’s Full Length Keynote Address To The First National Tea Party Convention
- Andrew Breitbart at National Tea Party Convention to Media: "It's Not Your Business Model That Sucks, It's You That Sucks"
- Tea Party Convention - Andrew Breitbart to Media: "It's You That Sucks"
- Kate Zernike's Smear Victim, Jason Mattera, Calls for Her Firing, Retraction From NY Times
- Conservative Author Uses Racist "Chris Rock Voice" to Threaten and Slur Steny Hoyer
- Breitbart to NY Times Reporter for Alleging Racial Tones at CPAC: 'You’re a Despicable Human Being'
- Max Blumenthal confronted by Andrew Breitbart and Larry O'Connor/Stage right at CPAC 10
- Some right-wing groups to skip GOP event, LA Times, January 8, 2011
- Hmmm: Andrew Breitbart At CPAC, “I Have Videos” of Obama From His College Day..., Weasel Zippers, February 10, 2012
- Andrew Breitbart dead at 43 of natural causes at UCLA hospital, Los Angeles Times
- Autopsy Report: Conservative Blogger Breitbart Died of Heart Attack
- Andrew Breitbart dead at 43, according to his website, The Daily Caller, March 1 2012
- Coroner: Breitbart Died of Heart Failure
- Coulter, Kudlow Remember Breitbart, Breitbart.com
- The Andrew Breitbart I knew, S. E. Cupp
- Sarah Palin: Breitbart Is Here, Breitbart.com
- We Are All Breitbart Now… Thoughts From Bill Whittle
- Be Warned Mainstream Media, Andrew Breitbart Is Here
- The Words of Derrick Bell, Fox News
- Obama Harvard Tapes Exposed on Hannity, Fox News
- Andrew Breitbart ‘bombshell’ video from Barack Obama’s college days released, falls flat say critics
- Breitbart Remembered, National Review
- Hating Breitbart - Loving Breitbart
- 'Hating Breitbart' a must-see documentary
- ‘Breitbart’ as a Verb, American Spectator
- Andrew Klavan: What Breitbart Knew, Truth Revolt
- How to win a culture war: a review of hating Breitbart, LifeSiteNews
- Hating Breitbart's Powerful Post-Partisan Message
- Breitbart in Full: The GQA, GQ Magazine
- Video: The Abu Ghraib Of The Great Society -- Andrew Breitbart On ACORN, Pajamas Media
- Righteous Indignation, page 193
- 'Hating Breitbart' Review: Recording Andrew Breitbart's Eye for Bias, News Cycle Dominance, Breitbart.com
- Righteous Indignation
- 'Walk Toward The Fire': Andrew Breitbart Award Ceremony Remembers 'Happy Warrior'
- Righteous Indignation
- Righteous Indignation
- The Provocateur, The New York Times
- Quotes from my January interview with conservative firebrand Andrew Breitbart, who died today
- ‘I Love Fighting for What I Believe In’, National Review
- In Memoriam: Andrew Breitbart, Newsbusters
- Breitbart: Media Ask Palin and Bachmann Gotcha Questions to Make Them Look Stupid on YouTube
- Breitbart To Tea Partiers: ‘We Outnumber (Liberals) And We Have The Guns!’, Mediaite
- Quotes of the day, Hot Air
- Remarks by Mr. Andrew Breitbart
- Washington Times - Andrew Breitbart
- Facebook -Andrew Breitbart
- Twitter -AndrewBreitbart (Warning: Liberals leave vulgar messages)