|Born||December 8, 1961|
Ann Hart Coulter (born December 8, 1961) a maverick conservative commentator who often criticizes liberals. She also sometimes answers liberals in very outrageous considered manners, and then switching the point-of-view around. Liberals have slandered her for this.
She is an attorney, legal affairs correspondent, social commentator and a well known maverick political pundit. She has written five bestselling books on U.S. politics. U.S. Federal Judge Richard Posner included her in a list of America's top public intellectuals.
Coulter's primary focus is exposing what she says are the faults of liberalism, and she has enjoyed a popular following for her strong defense of family values against abortion and same-sex marriage. She is well known for her forthright statements against those who she accuses of wanting to hurt the United States.
Coulter is a high-profile female conservative, in line with Phyllis Schlafly and Condoleezza Rice. Her books and strong speaking style have endeared her to fans and infuriated opponents, in which they are often seen as radical.
Being an seemingly unabashedly conservative pundit, Coulter's social commentaries often draw the ire of liberals. Her comments are frequently controversial and her critics often feign being offended.
Political Positions and Views
In August 2011 Coulter created a stir by agreeing to join the advisory board of GOProud, the Republican homosexual activist organization. Earlier this year WorldNetDaily chief Joseph Farah withdrew an invitation to Coulter to speak at WND's "Taking America Back National Conference" in Miami in September, because of her appearance at a GOProud fundraiser.
From early 2012 she was a vocal supporter and defender of Mitt Romney as presidential candidate.
Some of her books include
- High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton (2002)
- Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right (2003)
- Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism (2004)
- How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) (2005)
- Godless: The Church of Liberalism (2007)
- If Democrats Had Any Brains They'd Be Republicans (2007)
- Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America (2009)
- Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America (2011)
- Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama (2012)
- Never Trust a Liberal Over Three (2013)
In Godless, Coulter illustrates the concepts of liberals making a religion out of their beliefs, following with the sort of intolerant zeal which they claim fundamentalists do. "Liberalism is a comprehensive belief system denying the Christian belief in man's immortal soul [and] that we are moral beings in God's image." (pg. 3)
- "There was more desegregation of American public schools in Nixon's first term than in any historical period before or since." 
- "Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots ... "
- "My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building." She later clarified "Of course I regret [saying] it. I should have added, 'after everyone had left the building except the editors and reporters."
- "We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say." (The view that Christians are perfected Jews is a common belief among Jewish converts to Christianity, who view Christianity as a natural continuation of Judaism.)
- "Saddam's barbaric rape rooms, chemical attacks and torture — those, liberals could live with. But now they want us to send troops to Darfur, a country from which no one anticipates terrorism anytime in the next millennium. If you're looking for a good definition of "no imminent threat," Darfur is it... These people can't even wrap up genocide. We've been hearing about this slaughter in Darfur forever — and they still haven't finished. The aggressors are moving like termites across that country. It's like genocide by committee. Who's running this holocaust in Darfur, FEMA?...Darfur is not the threat... though a hostage-taking, Holocaust-denying lunatic who doesn't own a necktie but is within two years of having a nuclear bomb comes to mind. You can already hear Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi saying, "If the Democrats were in charge, the use of military force wouldn't be necessary because we'd constructively engage them and appease their stated desire to kill us."
- "If you want a shorter rebuilding process, then we're going to have to wage less humane wars. The enemy — as well as innocent civilians — must be bombed into quivering terror. Otherwise, we displace aggression but don't destroy it. Americans are weaker for having seen that kind of carnage in World War II. Recall that the Worst Generation was raised by the Greatest Generation. That tells you how awful war is. The Greatest Generation was so exhausted by the war, it didn't have the spine to stand up to pot-smoking, draft-dodging hippies occupying administration buildings."
- "I think [women] should be armed but should not vote. No, they all have to give up their vote, not just, you know, the lady clapping and me. The problem with women voting -- and your Communists will back me up on this -- is that, you know, women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it. And when they take these polls, it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care."
- "...a cruise missile is more important than Head Start."
- On Sept. 13, 2001 she wrote this about the Sept. 11 terrorist attack: "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."
- "We need to execute people like John Walker [Lindh] in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors," Conservative Political Action Conference, January 2002. Coulter later clarified what she meant; "when I said we should "execute" John Walker Lindh, I mis-spoke. What I meant to say was 'We should burn John Walker Lindh alive and televise it on prime-time network TV'. My apologies for any misunderstanding that might have occurred."
- "Every concrete example of the racism allegedly sweeping the nation's campuses keeps turning out to be a fraud. Far from "institutional racism," there is "institutional racial hoaxism" run amok in this country."
- "Rather than own up to their moral blindness to Soviet espionage, Democrats fired up the liberal slander machine, which would be deployed again and again over the next half century to the present day.
- "By exposing the Democrats' absolute blindness to Soviet totalitarianism, McCarthy shattered forever the nation's confidence in the Democrats' capacity to govern. For that, the Stalinist hate machine attacked him viciously and has never let up."
- "How about having Tim Russert ask Hillary if she believes the New Testament is the perfection of the Old Testament? She claims to be a Christian. Let's get it on the table: Is she or isn't she? It doesn't get any more bare-bones than that.
- "[The New York Times'] reaction to al-Zarqawi's death was to lower the U.S. flag at the Times building to half-staff. (Ha ha — just kidding! Everybody knows there aren't any American flags at The New York Times.)"
- "I think our motto should be post-9-11, ‘raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences.'"
Ann Coulter wrote:
- You want to protect consumers? Do it the same way we protect consumers of dry cleaning, hamburgers and electricians: Give them the power to tell their insurance companies, "I'm taking my business elsewhere." Liberal lies about national health care: first in a series
- Articles about Ann Coulter from previous "Breaking News"
- Wikiproject:News by Subject- Ann Coulter
- Conservative Links
- Lou Dobbs
Notes and references
- "Data for tables in Chapter 5 of Richard A. Posner, Public Intellectuals: A Study of Decline" where Posner talks about the data he used for his book Public Intellectuals: A Study of Decline.
- Table II, which is Posner's data for 607 public intellectuals. A PDF search of "Coulter" will show she is on Posner's list.
- The Long Fuse on Ann Coulter's Bomb - Washington Post - March 6, 2007; She called Democratic women "no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chick pie wagons".
- Coulter: 'Faggot' not offensive to gays, it's a 'schoolyard taunt'; At a CPAC conference, Coulter joked, "I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'f*****.'"
- Harry Reid’s Negro Problem, Human Events
- O'Reilly: Killing History, AnnCoulter.com
- Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism.
- 9/11 Commissioner Criticizes Coulter's 'Hate-Filled Attack' Associated Press story in USA Today. "'My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to The New York Times Building,' The New York Observer quoted her as saying on Aug. 20, 2002. She clarified those remarks with RightWingNews.com: 'Of course I regret it. I should have added, "after everyone had left the building except the editors and reporters."'"
- John Hawkins, An Interview With Ann Coulter, Right Wing News
- If At First You Don't Appease - Cry Cry Again, AnnCoulter.com,April 4th, 2007
- Politically Incorrect, Feb. 26, 2001
- Nov. 2001 speech rebroadcast by C-Span in Jan. 2002
- This Is War, National Review Online, September 2001
- RWN's Ann Coulter Interview #2 John Hawkins.
- That Was No Lady -- That Was My Husband, by Ann Coulter, Human Events, 06/28/2007.
- Another Liberal Noose-ance, by Ann Coulter, Human Events, 10/17/2007.
- McCarthyism: The Rosetta Stone of Liberal Lies, by Ann Coulter, Human Events, 11/07/2007.
- They'll Never Forgive You, by Ann Coulter, Human Events, 12/05/2007.
- How Long Before the A.D.L. Kicks Out All its Jews?, By Ann Coulter, Human Events, October 31, 2007.
- N.Y. Times: Better dead than read
- "Ragheads" and "Sambos" and "Gooks", Michelle Malkin
- RealClearPolitics Poll: Most Americans Love Coulter Columns, accessed 6 May 2007.
- Media Research Center 'Funny Video's from 2007' Watch Ann Coulter present funny videos from 2007 at the 2008 MRC DisHonors Awards in DC.
- The Hill website
- Top Conservative Political Websites.