The Antichrist is a man of evil and deception in Premillennialism who will persecute faithful Christians during the Tribulation. Many Christian denominations say he will come on the world scene during a time of chaos, and will make a peace treaty with Israel for 7 years and then break the treaty after the first three and a half years to finally commit genocide against his opponents. This isn't stated in the Bible though.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 The Antichrist in the Bible
- 3 Islam
- 4 America as the Seat of Antichrist
- 5 Russia/The Soviet Union as the Seat of the Antichrist
- 6 The Vatican as the Seat of the Antichrist
- 7 Titles of the Antichrist
- 8 See also
- 9 Resources
- 10 Notes and references
- 11 External links
The word Antichrist comes from the Greek αντί-χριστος (anti-khristos), meaning opposite of Christ. The Greek word anti can also mean 'instead of' or "equal to, like" so that the phrase can also be interpreted as meaning in place of, or like, Christ so while opposing Christ the antichrist will try to appear to be like Christ. Some Christians believe that the use in John refers to a single being that will appear in the End Times. This view is most commonly found among premillennialist Christians. In modern usage, the term is usually used to refer to one who is pure evil.
The Antichrist in the Bible
The following verses are the only verses which directly use the word Antichrist (KJV)
- I John 2:18 'as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now there are many antichrists'
- I John 2:22 'Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieith the Father and the Son.'
- I John 4:3 'And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
- 2 John 7: 'For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.'
Based on the lack of direct references, some Christians argue that the Bible refers only to a generalized concept of Antichrist, applicable to anybody who is 'against Christ', not to a particular person. Moreover, such 'antichrists' were already present in the world nearly two thousand years ago. St. Augustine in his treatise The City of God relates the long-held belief in his day that Nero was the supreme Antichrist, and that he was still alive and in hiding, awaiting his opportunity, a belief he dismisses as absurd, saying, "But I wonder that men can be so audacious in their conjectures." Other Christians, such as the Catholic Church and many Protestant denominations, have argued that these verses mainly prefigure the actual Antichrist and that one can see a single unifying Antichrist figure with the proper exegetical methods if one looks at the books of Daniel and Revelation. So while there is a spirit of antichrist, there is also one Antichrist who is to come.
The Antichrist is often associated with, and in some interpretations considered equivalent to, the Beast of Revelation or the Man of Sin referenced in II Thessalonians 2:3.
America as the Seat of Antichrist
Some Protestants have seen America as the "Seat of Antichrist"—perhaps with the President of the United States, as the Antichrist. This theme has replaced the older version that the Catholic Church and the Pope were the Antichrist.
The idea was propounded in 1859 by Frances Rolleston in Notes on the Apocalypse, as Explained by the Hebrew Scriptures: The Place in Prophecy of America and Australia Being Pointed Out.
Seventh-day Adventist Church expositor Uriah Smith in 1884 authored a text entitled The United States in the Light of Prophecy; or, An Exposition of Rev. 13:11-17 Smith was insistent that America was the beast of Revelation 13:11-17.
In 1968 Dr. S. Franklin Logsdon, Senior Pastor of the Moody Church in Chicago, suggested that the USA was Babylon the Great.
In 1998, R. A. Coombes, in America, the Babylon: America’s Destiny Foretold in Biblical Prophecy presents thirty-three identifying markers which he claims identify America as the Babylon of the End Times, the seat of Antichrist. He finds sixty-six reasons why New York City is the bastion of Babylon the Great.
Mark Hitchcock, in his 2009 text, The Late Great United States, What Bible Prophecy Reveals About America's Last Days rejects the eschatologists who suggest that America is Mystery, Babylon the Great (Revelation 17:5) and claims, instead, that modern-day Iraq is the literal Babylon the Great of the latter days (pp. 17–21).
In his e-book Antichrist - Reflections on the Desolator Doug Krieger asserts that The Antichrist will be the leader of the West and the "protector of the Jews in a regathered Israel" - it is this figure who will make a "defense pact" to defend Israel's majority for seven years but, like other Biblical Futurists, will break his covenant with Israel and declare himself as God.
Russia/The Soviet Union as the Seat of the Antichrist
The Vatican as the Seat of the Antichrist
Titles of the Antichrist
Arthur Pink (See: The Antichrist) and Doug Krieger, as well as many, especially Premillennial Evangelicals, extrapolate titles of the End Times Antichrist from both Testaments of the Bible; to name but a few:
1. The Antichrist- I John
2. The Man of Sin – II Thess.
3. The Lawless One – II Thess.
4. The Beast – Rev. 11:7
5. The Bloody and Deceitful Man – Psalm 5:6
6. The Wicked One – II Thess.
7. The Man of the Earth – Psalm 10:18
8. The Mighty Man – Psalm 52:1
9. The Enemy – Psalm 55:3
10.The Adversary – Psalm 74:8-10
11.The Head Over Many Countries – Psalm 110:6
12.The Violent Man – Psalm 140:1
13.The Assyrian – Isa. 10:5-12
14.The King of Babylon – Isa. 14:4
15.The Son of the Morning – Isa. 14:12
16.The Abominable Branch – Isa. 14:19
17.The Spoiler – Isa. 16:4
18.The Nail – Isa. 22:25
19.The Branch of the Terrible Ones – Ezk. 21:25-27
20.The King of Tyre – Ezk. 28:12
21.The Little (i.e., "Younger") Horn – Daniel 7:8
22.The Head Over Many Countries- Psalm 110:6
23.The Coming Prince – Dan. 9:26
24.The Vile (or Despicable) Person – Dan. 11:21
26.The Idol Shepherd – Zech. 11:16-17
27.The Angel of the Bottomless Pit – Rev. 9:11
28.The Son of Perdition – II Thess.
29.The Desolator – Daniel 9:27
31.God of Fortresses – Daniel 11:38
- 2300 Day Prophecy of Daniel 8
- Abomination of Desolation
- Book of Daniel
- Book of Revelation
- Revelation, Book of (historical exegesis)
- End times
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Last Judgment
- Oracle of Damascus
- The Rapture
- Third Temple
- Two Witnesses
- Cruden, A., Complete Concordance to the Old and New Testaments (Lutterworth, 1930)
- The Holy Bible (King James Version)
- The New English Bible (Oxford & Cambridge University Presses, 1970)
- The New Jerusalem Bible (Darton, Longman & Todd, 1990)
- Peake, A.S., Commentary on the Bible (Nelson, 1962)
- Young, R., Analytical Concordance to the Holy Bible (Lutterworth, 1939)
- McGinn, Bernard. Antichrist: Two Thousand Years of Human Fascination with Evil (San Francisco: Harper, 1994)
- Lindsey, Hal. The Late Great Planet Earth (New York: Bantam Books, 1973)
Notes and references
- Premillennialism. Theopedia, an Encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity.
- Augustine, The City of God, chapter 19 (ccel.org)
- Antichrist. New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia.
- Mohammed Ali Ibn Zubair Ali. Who is the evil Dajjal (the "anti-Christ")? - from Signs of Qiyamah.
- Notes on the Apocalypse, as Explained by the Hebrew Scriptures: the Place in Prophecy of America and Australia Being Pointed Outurl. Rivingtons, London 1858.
- The United States in the Light of Prophecy; or, An Exposition of Rev. 13:11-17.
- S. Franklin Logsdon, Sr. Pastor, Moody Church, Chicago, Illinois. U.S. in Bible Prophecy. Zondervan, 1968, pp. 59-60, ISBN 0974476498.
- R. A. Coombes. America the Babylon. Real Publishing, Liberty, 1998; especially pp. 55-58 and 182-86, ISBN 1-890622-33-8.
- Mark Hitchcock. The Late Great United States, What Bible Prophecy Reveals About America's Last Days. Multnomah Books, Colorado Springs, CO, 2009, pp. 17-21, ISBN 978-1-60142-140-1.
- Doug Krieger. Antichrist - Reflections on the Desolator. The Tribulation Network.
- Arthur Walkington Pink's Archive. Providence Baptist Ministries.
- Arthur Pink. the Antichrist. Providence Baptist Ministries.
- Doug Krieger. Antichrist, Reflections on the Desolator. The Tribulation Network.
- What is premillennialism?. gotQuestions?org.
- What is Evangelicalism?. gotQuestions?org.