Anwar al-Awlaki (born in New Mexico of Yemeni descent) was a radical imam, and was the first American citizen to be selected for extrajudicial execution under new powers that the Obama Administration gave itself. Formerly imam in Denver, Colorado, and San Diego, California, he led prayers, taught lessons, and delivered Friday sermons at Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia. He was also the Muslim Chaplain at George Washington University. He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University and an M.A. in Education Leadership from San Diego State University. Awlaki worked on a Doctorate in Human Resource Development at George Washington University.
Nidal Malik Hasan's family attended the Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., where Awlaki was preaching in 2001. Also Nawaf al-Hamzi and Hani Hanjour, Sept. 11 hijackers, at the same time worshipped at that mosque. Two officials said the Washington-based task force was notified of communications between Hasan and Awlaki. Awlaki praised Hasan as a hero and urged Muslims in the US military to follow in his footsteps. He also said that American Muslims who condemned Hasan attack are hypocrites who have committed treason against their religion. Malik Hasan is reported to have stated: "In the Qu’ran, it says you are not supposed to have alliances with Jews or Christians, and if you are killed in the military fighting against Muslims, you will go to hell."
He was killed by a drone attack in Yemen in October 2011.
The Taliban repeatedly said: show us the evidence and we will turn over whoever is guilty with the crime. The US should have given them the benefit of the doubt. Also our government could have dealt with the terrorist attacks as a crime against America rather than a war against America. So the guilty would be tried and only them would be punished rather than bombing an already destroyed country. I do not restrict myself to US media. I check out Aljazeerah and European media such as the BBC. I am seeing something that you are not seeing because of the one-sidedness of the US media. I see the carnage of Afghanistan. I see the innocent civilian deaths. That is why my opinion is different. Keep in mind that I have no sympathy for whoever committed the crimes of Sep 11th. But that doesn't mean that I would approve the killing of my Muslim brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. Even though this is a dissenting view nowadays but as an American I do have the right to have a contrary opinion. You can congratulate your Muslim friends with "Ramadan Mubarak". Anwar al-Awlaki. (2001).
"Jihad is the greatest deed in Islam and the salvation of the ummah is in practicing it. In times like these, when Muslim lands are occupied by the kuffar, when the jails of tyrants are full of Muslim POWs, when the rule of the law of Allah is absent from this world and when Islam is being attacked in order to uproot it, Jihad becomes obligatory on every Muslim. Jihad must be practiced by the child even if the parents refuse, by the wife even if the husband objects and by the one indebt even if the lender disagrees." "Dear brothers and sisters the issue is urgent since today our enemy is neither a nation nor a race. It is a system of kufr with global reach. The kuffar today are conspiring against us like never before. So could we be heading towards the great battle between the Romans and the Muslims - Al Malhamah - which the Prophet (saaws) spoke about?" Anwar al-Awlaki. (February 5, 2009.) 
- The Battle of Hearts and Minds
- The Dust Will Never Settle Down
- 25 Promises from Allah to the Believer
- Hellfire & The Day of Judgment
- Trials & Lessons for Muslim Minorities
- Allah is Preparing us for Victory
- Giving & Investing in the Hereafter
- Brutality Towards Muslims Unpublished
- The War on Islam Unpublished
One of Awlaki's most popular video series is "Constants of Jihad", in which he translates and interprets a well-known Arabic book promoting fighting in the name of Islam.
- Anwar Al Awlaki. At Facebook. (His page has been downed.)
- Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki. An audio interview.
- Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki. Online lectures.
- Anwar al-Awlaki's online support for Fort Hood gunman Major Hasan.
- Understanding Ramadan:The Muslim Month of Fasting.
- AP Sources: Defense Dept worker looked into Hasan.
- Fort Hood murderer Nidal Malik Hasan reached out to radical anti-American imam Anwar al-Awlaki.
- Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'had contact with 9/11 imam'.
- Understanding Ramadan:The Muslim Month of Fasting. Monday, Nov. 19, 2001.
- "44 Ways to Support Jihad".
- The powerful online voice of jihad. 19 October 2009.