An aphorism is a concise statement of an insight or truth, usually having a practical or political significance.
Jesus' aphorisms are some of the most beloved and highly revered in history. Christians and non-Christians alike see the wisdom in them.
- "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31
- "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36
- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
- "I once played a sheriff who thought he could do the job without a gun. I was dead in twenty-seven minutes of a thirty minute show."
- "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15."