Christian apologetics is the defense of the Christian faith through logical arguments. The term comes from the Greek word apologia, which means "defense". There are a number of subfields within apologetics. Some apologists specialize in internal biblical consistency (such as JP Holding, owner of the website tektonics.org), others in scientific defenses of the Bible, and still others in historical or philosophical defenses of Christianity (such as Gary Habermas or Lee Strobel). Although some feel that their faith needs no justification, many feel that Christians should be prepared to defend and spread their faith by intellectual means, especially as many people will not accept Christianity without a "rational" reason to do so.
History of Christian Apologetics
Christian apologetics has existed as long as Christianity itself. Jesus himself spent time in the temples and synagogues, debating and explaining the meaning of the scriptures. The Apostle Peter exhorted early Christians to practice apologetics, writing,
- "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." 1 Peter 3:15-16.
Great theologians such as Athanasius, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Augustine, and Aquinas continued the tradition of apologetics on a dramatic scale. At the same time, apologetics was practiced by countless individual Christians, explaining and defending their beliefs.
Apologetics has generally been used for two purposes: Efforts to persuade others of the truth of Christianity, and efforts to defend the reasonableness of one's own beliefs, while not seeking to convince others of their truth.
Types of Christian Apologetics
Evidential apologetics seeks to defend Christian belief through evidence. This can take the form of:
- Defense of the historical accuracy of the Bible
- Biblical Archaeology, seeking to show that the Bible is consistent with the physical evidence;
- Christian Legal Apologetics
- Bible prophecy
- Creation science and Creationism, seeking to show that the creation accounts of the Bible are the most reasonable explanation for life as we know it and that the evolutionary paradigm is untenable.
- Biblical scientific foreknowledge
Philosophical apologetics seeks to defend Christian belief through philosophical argument: primarily arguments for the existence of God. This can take the form of:
- The Teleological argument: When you find a watch in the sand, you infer that it is designed, even if you do not see the designer, because it is complex, has a definite purpose, and could not have come to be through any known non-intelligent causes. Therefore, when we observe a complex, purposeful universe which could not have come to be through any known non-intelligent cause, it is reasonable to infer the existence of a designer, aka God.
- This is connected to the anthropic principle, which is the argument that so much fine-tuning and exact physiological constants allows us to be here, provides evidence in support of an intelligent designer.
- The Cosmological argument: Every event in the universe is caused by something. It is impossible that everything should have a cause, going back to eternity. Therefore, there must be a first cause, which itself is not caused, and that first cause must be capable of causing the universe, aka God. Creationist scientists demonstrate that the first law of thermodynamics and second law of thermodynamics argue against an eternal universe and they also demonstrate that these laws point to the universe being supernaturally created. 
In the 20th century, this argument has been strongly supported by science, with the discovery that the universe had a beginning. Prior to the 1920s, it had been widely believed that the universe's existence had been eternal.  This verifies the very first three words of the Bible: "In the beginning."
- The Ontological argument: God is the being than which no greater can be conceived. It is greater to exist than to not exist. Therefore if you conceive God as not existing, you are not conceiving the being than which no greater can be conceived, and are therefore not conceiving God. Therefore it is impossible to conceive of God as not existing. Therefore God exists.
- The Argument from morality: All humans are born with a natural, moral code. A moral code implies a moral code giver, aka God.
Presuppositional Apologetics seek to defend Christian belief by showing that belief in Christian precepts is necessary to make sense of the human experience as a whole.
Christian Apologetics and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is critical to the Christian faith. The Apostle Paul wrote, "if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain" (I Cor:15:14). Traditionally, Christianity has believed in a physical resurrection of Jesus Christ.  The Christian apologist Michael Horner of CRU has an excellent resource which offers a defense of the resurrection of Jesus Christ entitled Did Jesus really rise from the dead?. In addition, Dr. Gary Habermas offers an online audio library which defends the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In recent history, Dr. Gary Habermas is considered the foremost Christian apologist for defending the resurrection of Jesus.  Dr. Habermas had a debate against the philosopher Antony Flew regarding the resurrection which was chronicled in the work Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate and the debate had a panel of debate judges. J. Hampton Keathley, III , Th.M. in his essay Evidences for the Resurrection wrote: "The decision of the judges were as follows. The panel of philosophers judging content cast four votes for Habermas who argued for the fact of the resurrection, none for Flew, and one draw. The panel of professional debate judges voted three to two, also in favor of Habermas, this time regarding the method of argumentation technique." 
In recent history some notable defenders of the resurrection include: William Lane Craig, Ben Witherington, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Edwin M. Yamauchi, N.T. Wright and Michael Horner. 
Legal scholars, legal authorities, and eminent lawyers such as Simon Greenleaf, John Warwick Montgomery, Lord Darling, John Singleton Copley, Hugo Grotius, Lord Caldecote, J. N. D. Anderson, Lionel Luckhoo, and many others have asserted that western legal standards argue for the resurrection of Christ. 
Question evolution campaign
See also: Question evolution! campaign
Since World War II a majority of the most prominent and vocal defenders of the theory of evolution which employs methodological naturalism have been atheists. In 2011, a campaign called the Question evolution! campaign was launched by the biblical creation organization Creation Ministries International which is a worldwide "grass-roots movement to challenge the anti-Christian dogma of evolution". The focus of the Question evolution! campaign is on 15 questions that evolutionists cannot answer. The campaign will be primarily conducted in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa.
Christian Apologetic Ministries
There are a number of internet based Christian apologetic Ministries or Christian apologetics ministries which have a internet presence. Some of the more notable Christian apologetic ministries are: Fixed Point Foundation, Tekton Apologetics Ministries, LeadershipU, Probe Ministries, Christian Answers Network, Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry, and A Christian Thinktank.
Christian websites with a large focus on the topic of atheism
Four of the more notable Christian apologetics which have a large focus on the topic of atheism are: True Free Thinker, the Creation Ministries International resources on atheism, the Fixed Point Foundation website, and Atheism Analyzed.
Christian apologetics clubs on college campuses
Ratio Christi is a global movement that equips university students and faculty to give historical, philosophical, and scientific reasons for following Jesus Christ.
The Christian apologetics organization Stand to Reason wrote:
|“|| Ratio Christi, a fairly new apologetics organization that is seeking to change the intellectual atmosphere at universities by bringing Christianity into public, academic discussion. Their goal is to start on-campus apologetics clubs at 500 universities in the next five years. This is where you come in--because it’s also Ratio Christi’s goal to connect each of these clubs with a person who has been trained in apologetics (but who probably has a different day job) to act as chapter director.
Ratio Christi helps each chapter organize one or two campus-wide events a year by connecting them with speakers and debaters like William Lane Craig and Gary Habermas, helping them find the funding, etc. But after the event has come and gone, the lay apologist is still there to lead discussions and interact with the Christians, skeptics, atheists, and seekers who may never have realized that Christianity has a weighty intellectual tradition behind it.
General Christian apologetics:
- Carl Gallups, The Magic Man in the Sky: Effectively Defending the Christian Faith, WND Books, 2012, ISBN 1936488523
- Josh McDowell, The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict Fully Updated To Answer The Questions Challenging Christians Today, 1999, ISBN 0785242198
- Lee Strobel, Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus , Zondervan, 1998, ISBN 0310209307
- Gary Habermas and Michael Licona, The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus, Kregel Publications, 2004, ISBN 0825427886
Old Testament apologetics:
- Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., The Old Testament Documents: Are They Reliable & Relevant?, IVP Academic, 2001, ISBN 0830819754
- Kenneth Kitchen, On The Reliability of the Old Testament, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2006. ISBN 0802803962
Biblical creation apologetics:
- Jonathan Sarfati, Refuting Evolution, Master Books, 1999 (Free on-line version) ISBN 0890512582
- Jonathan Sarfati, Refuting Evolution 2, Master Books, 2002,(Free on-line version) ISBN 0890513872
- Phillip Johnson, Darwin on Trial. InterVarsity Press, Downers Grove, Illinois. 1991 ISBN 0-8308-1324-1
- Duane Gish, Evolution: The Fossils Still Say No!, El Cajon: Institute for Creation Research, 1996 ISBN 9780890511121
- R. C. Sproul, Not a Chance: The Myth of Chance in Modern Science and Cosmology, Baker Book House: 1994 ISBN 080105852X
- Resources on becoming a Christian
- Christian apologetics website resources
- Israel Tourism for some biblical archaeological sites available to tourists
- Inspiration of Holy Scripture: An Eastern Christian and Jewish Perspective
- List of proofs of God
- Essay: How to "get" a church For the experience of the supernatural as aid to the acceptance of the miraculous of the Biblical story
- Essay: The superiority of the King James Bible: Looking through! For the support that correct linguistic understanding gives to the resolutiion and reasonableness of apparently confusing, conflicting, or non convincing understandings.
- Adiabene for the support of history for the Biblical Son and rule of David
- House of David for the support of archaeology and epigraphy for the Biblical witness to David and David's kingdom
- New Testament understanding through the Jewish perspective For the contemporary 1st century and normative Jewish approach and custom authenticating New Testament data and perspective.
General Christian apologetics websites
- Christian apologetics
- All About GOD Answers to many questions regarding Christianity
- Stand to Reason
- Apologetics Information Ministry
- Tekton Apologetics Ministries
- Classic Works of Apologetics (Tektonics)
- Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
- Academy of Christian Apologetics
- LifeWay Apologetics
- Windmill Ministries
- Probe Ministries -Christian Apologetics
- Christian Apologetics Journal
- Apologetics Resource Center
- Christian Apologetics Wiki — Wiki-based Christian apologetics
- Academy for Christian Thought
- 10 Reasons to Believe
- Proof That God Exists
- Christian Apologetics and Research Ministries
Historical and legal apologetics
- Did Jesus Really Rise from the Dead? by Michael Horner
- Why I Believe the New Testament is historically Reliable by Dr. Gary Habermas
- Journal articles of Dr. Gary Habermas
- Are the Biblical Documents Reliable?
- The Impossible faith by JP Holding
Christian legal apologetics:
- Bible archaeology
- The Bible & Archaeology: The Book of Acts: The Church Begins
- St. Luke, archaeology, Book of Acts
- Archaeology and the Book of Acts
- Archaeology and the Book of Acts - Gordon College
- Book of Acts - Paul's travels
- Bible and Spade articles
- Archaeology and the Old Testament by Patrick Zukeran
- The Archaeological Evidence for the Bible is Non-Existent! A reply from James F. Williams
Bible archaeology and dating:
- Dating in Archaeology: Challenges to Biblical Credibility by Garry K. Brantley, M.A., M.Div.
Christian worldview/Christian philosophy
Videos on atheism:
Websites, articles and videos focusing on atheism:
- Atheism website resources
- True Free Thinker.
- Fixed Point Foundation — Committed to publicly defending Christianity by empowering Christians and challenging skeptics.
- Atheism Analyzed
Creation science ministries and other resources
Conservapedia articles on evolution and creation science:
Bible prophecy articles and websites
Analysis of Bible prophecy from Christian scholars/apologists
- Science speaks - Prophetic accuracy by Dr. Peter Stoner
- Public Theology and Prophecy Data - Factual Evidence that Counts for a Worldview by Dr. John Bloom, Robert C. Newman, and Hugh G. Gouch, Jr.
- The Case for Jesus the Messiah — Incredible Prophecies that Prove God Exist by Dr. John Ankerberg, Dr. John Weldon and Dr. Walter Kaiser Jr.
- The Case for Jesus the Messiah — Incredible Prophecies that Prove God Exist - Part Two by Dr. John Ankerberg, Dr. John Weldon and Dr. Walter Kaiser Jr.
- Prophecy about Jesus
- Defense of city of Tyre prophecy
Rebuttal to atheist Steven Carr concerning Bible prophecy:
Biblical inerrancy resources
- Tekton Apologetics Ministries
- Christian Thinktank
- A Christian Thinktank
- Alleged Bible discrepancies by Apologetics Press
Resources for becoming a Christian
Below are some resources on becoming a Christian:
Tips on choosing a Christian church:
Spiritual growth as a Christian:
- ↑ Evidences for God From Space—Laws of Science
- ↑ Thompson, Bert, So Long, Eternal Universe; Hello Beginning, Hello End!, 2001 (Apologetics Press)
- ↑ http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/AstroPhysicalSciences14.html
- ↑ http://www.harvardhouse.com/Science-Religion.htm
- ↑ http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/cri/cri-jrnl/crj0056a.txt
- ↑ http://www.garyhabermas.com/articles/dialog_rexperience/dialog_rexperiences.htm
- ↑ http://www.tektonics.org/books/lichabrvw.html
- ↑ http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/NTeSources/NTArticles/CTR-NT/Habermas-Resurrection2-CTR.pdf
- ↑ http://www.garyhabermas.com/articles/crj_explainingaway/crj_explainingaway.htm
- ↑ http://www.apologetics.com/default.jsp?bodycontent=/articles/historical_apologetics/habermas-nt.html
- ↑ http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=639
- ↑ http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/menus/historical.html
- ↑ http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/josh2.html
- ↑ http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/yama.html
- ↑ http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Early_Traditions.htm
- ↑ http://powertochange.com/discover/faith/jesusrose1/
- ↑ http://www.bibleteacher.org/sgtestimony.htm
- ↑ http://www.mtio.com/articles/bissart1.htm
- ↑ http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/apologetics/AP0302W3.htm
- ↑ http://lawreligionculturereview.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_lawreligionculturereview_archive.html
- ↑ http://www.trinitysem.edu/journal/philjohnsonpap.html
- ↑ Question evolution! campaign
- ↑ Question evolution! campaign
- ↑ http://creation.com/question-evolution
- ↑ http://www.fixed-point.org
- ↑ Ratio Christi Apologetics Clubs
- ↑ http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/darwin.html
- ↑ http://www.icr.org/store/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=2176
- ↑ http://www.ldolphin.org/chance.html