Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
In 1946 a master plan for a new airport in Maryland is completed. The Baltimore Aviation Commission selects a 3,200-acre site in the vicinity of Friendship Church, Anne Arundel County, 10 miles south of Baltimore and 30 miles north of Washington, D.C. In 1947, construction on the new airport begins and it is officially named Friendship International Airport. In 1950 President Harry S. Truman dedicates Friendship International Airport. In 1972 the State of Maryland, through the Department of Transportation (MDOT), purchases Friendship International Airport from the City of Baltimore. In 1973 the airport is renamed Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI) to reflect its role as the transportation center of the region. In 2005 BWI’s name officially becomes Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Recognizing the achievements and the legacy of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, an exhibit chronicling his life and career is displayed on the upper level of the BWI terminal.