The first Barnett (SP-1149) retained part of her civilian name, while the second Barnett (AP-11) was named for Major General George Barnett.
(Tug: t. 194; l. 126'; b. 21'7"; dr. 9'3" (mean); s. 12 k.; cpl. 19; a. 2 3-pdrs., 1 mg.)
The Barnett—a steel hulled, single screw tug built in 1911 by John H. Dialogue of Camden, N.J.--was acquired by the Navy for use as a “section minesweeper” from the Steel Towage and Wrecking Co., of Galveston, Tex., who delivered her on 19 December 1917. Two days later, the tug—designated SP 1149—was commissioned for duty in the 8th Naval District. For the duration of hostilities, Barnett (the Navy seems to have dropped the definite article) operated out of New Orleans, sweeping the passes leading from the Gulf of Mexico to the main channel of the Mississippi River and carrying out district tug and tow services. On 17 July 1920, she was classified a harbor tug and designated YT 29.
On 29 December 1921, she was assigned to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where she performed general duty for the next 14 years. Decommissioned on 3 July 1936, Barnett was towed to the Norfolk Navy Yard by Allegheny (AT 191) arriving there on 11 July. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1936. She was sold to the Lee Transit Co., of New York, on 24 September 1936, and was delivered to that firm on 3 October 1936.
See also Barnett-II.