Battle of Peebles' Farm

From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Battle of Peebles' Farm
Poplar Springs Church

September 30, 1864


October 2, 1864


Dinwiddie County, Virginia


Eastern Theater


Richmond-Petersburg Campaign


Union victory

33 star flag.png
Conf Navy Jack.png

V Corps, Army of the Potomac

Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia


George G. Meade
Major General, USA
John G. Parke
Major General, USA
Gouverneur K. Warren
Major General, USA

A.P. Hill
Lieutenant General, CSA
Wade Hampton
Major General, CSA





In combination with Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler’s offensive north of the James River, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant extended his left flank to cut Confederate lines of communication southwest of Petersburg. Two divisions of the IX corps under Maj. Gen. John G. Parke, two divisions of the V Corps under Maj. Gen. G.K. Warren, and Brig. Gen. David M. Gregg’s cavalry division were assigned to the operation. On September 30, the Federals marched via Poplar Spring Church to reach Squirrel Level and Vaughan Roads. The initial Federal attack overran Fort Archer, flanking the Confederates out of their Squirrel Level Road line. Late afternoon, Confederate reinforcements arrived, slowing the Federal advance. On October 1, the Federals repulsed a Confederate counterattack directed by Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill. Reinforced by Maj. Gen. Gershom Mott’s division, the Federals resumed their advance on the 2nd, captured Fort MacRae which was lightly defended, and extended their left flank to the vicinity of Peebles’ and Pegram’s Farms. With these limited successes, Meade suspended the offensive. A new line was entrenched from the Federal works on Weldon Railroad to Pegram’s Farm. (NPS summary)