The first Belmont—a wooden hulled, non self-propelled barge—was acquired by the Navy from the Moran Towing and Transportation Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., after being inspected in the 3d Naval District on 21 November 1917; assigned the identification number (Id. No.) 2017; and was operated in an “in service” status into 1919. The exact nature of her service was not documented. She was returned to her owner on 3 October 1919.
See also Belmont-II.