Biblical prophecy is doctrine of foreknowledge and predictions in the Bible. Seventeen of the books of the Old Testament are the writings of prophets, from Isaiah to Malachi, who are considered the Men of God. Women of God are also mentioned in the Bible such as Deborah. These prophets spoke to the children of Israel, usually concerning rewards and punishment dependent on following the word of God.
The arrival of Jesus
The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus are predicted by prophets throughout the Old Testament in such passages as:
- Isaiah 7:14 - Predicting his virgin birth.
- Micah 5:2 - Born in Bethlehem.
- Deuteronomy 18:15 - would be a Prophet.
- Isaiah 53:3 - Rejected by his own.
- Zechariah 12:10 – Pierced through hands, feet, and side.
- Psalm 16:10-11; 49:15 - Resurrected from the dead.
- Psalm 68:18 – Ascension to the right hand of God
|“|| The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
End time prophecy
The Book of Revelation, in addition to various passages in New Testament, warn of prerequisites and calamity that will culminate in the Second Coming. Much biblical scholarship is devoted to determining the exact meanings of such prophecies, allusive and cloaked in metaphors, to correlate past events and predict future world events, particularly apocalyptic happenings.
- NASB quoted here.
Analysis of Bible prophecy from Christian scholars/apologists
- Science speaks - Prophetic accuracy by Dr. Peter Stoner
- Public Theology and Prophecy Data - Factual Evidence that Counts for a Worldview by Dr. John Bloom, Robert C. Newman, and Hugh G. Gouch, Jr.
- The Case for Jesus the Messiah — Incredible Prophecies that Prove God Exist by Dr. John Ankerberg, Dr. John Weldon and Dr. Walter Kaiser Jr.
- The Case for Jesus the Messiah — Incredible Prophecies that Prove God Exist - Part Two by Dr. John Ankerberg, Dr. John Weldon and Dr. Walter Kaiser Jr.
- Prophecy about Jesus
- Defense of city of Tyre prophecy
Rebuttal to atheist Steven Carr concerning Bible prophecy: