|U.S. Senator from Tennessee|
From: January 3, 2007 – Present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Robert Phillips "Bob" Corker, Jr., born August 24, 1952 (age 65), is the junior United States Senator from Tennessee. He is a member of the Senate Committees on Foreign Relations; Armed Services; Energy and Natural Resources; Small Business and Entrepreneurship; and the Special Committee on Aging. He has voted with a majority of his Republican colleagues 84.6%.
Corker is the former mayor of Chattanooga in southeastern Tennessee and a successful businessman.
One day after the conservative Breitbart News reported that Corker made a $3 million business deal with fellow establishment Senator Luther Strange (who lost the GOP runoff election to conservative Roy Moore a few days later), Corker announced he would not be running for re-election in 2018. Soon after this announcement, Corker insulted and criticized U.S. President Donald Trump and admitted that the GOP establishment was attempting to mute Trump's conservative agenda.
2006 Senate campaign
In 2004, Corker announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate. Incumbent Republican, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, had said that he was not going to run for reelection in 2006. Corker faced two other Republicans in the August primary, Ed Bryant and Van Hilleary, which he won with 48% of the vote to Bryant's 34% and Hilleary's 17%. Corker's Democratic opponent in the general election was congressman Harold Ford, Jr.. Corker had been declared the winner for the Senate seat in Tennessee. Results showed that the election was close, with Corker winning by less than three percentage points.
In the November 6, 2012, general election, Corker faces the Democrat Mark E. Clayton of Davidson County, a conservative Christian who has been disowned by his own party. The Tennessee Democratic leadership urged that voters write in another choice in the pending race against Corker.
- Leahy, Michael Patrick (September 26, 2017). Sen. Bob Corker Announces Retirement One Day After Breitbart Reports on His $3 Million Swamp Deal. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Boyle, Matthew (October 8, 2017). Donald Trump, Bob Corker Feud on Twitter as Establishment Republicans Burn. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Weber, Joseph (October 8, 2017). Trump slams Corker, who calls White House 'adult day care center'. Fox News. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Spiering, Charlie (October 9, 2017). Nanny Deep State: Bob Corker Reveals Establishment Effort to Tame Donald Trump’s Agenda. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Tennessee Democrats Are Very Sorry About Mark Clayton. Nashville Scene.