Breitbart.com is an up-to-the-minute news source founded by Andrew Breitbart. Presently, it is a conservative media juggernaut providing breaking news stories that the mainstream media would suppress from the general public. Exposing liberal bias in media has proven profitable as Breitbart has created other successful news sites; Breitbart.TV, BigGovernment, BigJournalism, BigHollywood, and most recently BigPeace. Breitbart is such a threat to the left that Media Matters constantly harasses them with misinformation campaigns. The Breitbart properties have provided some of the most ground-breaking news stories over the last several years and can be credited with taking down ACORN and exposing race baiting against the Tea Party movement by Democrat politicians. Per their website,
"Breitbart is currently serving about 20 million news pages per month to more than three million unique visitors. Many top bloggers rely on Breitbart as a primary news resource. Technorati puts Breitbart.com in its Top 50, with more than 30,000 links from nearly 8,000 blogs."
In 2016, Breitbart News ranked 29th in overall internet traffic according to Alexa. It played an influential role in the media and in the 2016 presidential election. Despite being a conservative news outlet, it has taken certain liberal positions at times, such as firing an editor in June 2017 for posting Tweets in opposition to Islam and Islamic immigration.
Liberals have claimed that Breitbart is an "alt-right" website and have tried to connect the site with white supremecists and neo-Nazis. However, a study conducted by Harvard and M.I.T. found that Breitbart does not represent any of those ideologies and that Breitbart readers actually were regular conservatives. Unlike the mainstream media, which claims to be unbiased and objective while actually promoting a left-wing point of view, Breitbart is transparent about the fact that it promotes conservative and nationalist views.
In its quest for ad revenue, Breitbart's overall web presentation is less than family friendly with its right-hand column running click bait for stories about "wardrobe malfunction" and photos of women wearing tight T-shirts imprinted with "not silicone." While its own content is conservative, the photos and links served up by its advertisers are not. For example, the page about President Trump's order banning transgender people from serving in the military has a right-column item showing what might be taken as a woman having an orgasm, with a link to an article "15 Movies Where They Really Did It". The article lists, among others, the movie Ken Park, stating that "The boinking [sic] scenes in this film are all awkward, all real, and all completely unsimulated."
Ownership and leadership
Until August 2016, Bannon was the executive chairman of Breitbart News. The current owners are: Larry Solov, founder Andrew Breitbart’s widow, Susie Breitbart, and the Mercer family. Breitbart’s family owns the largest stake.
- Steve Bannon
- Essay: Why I no longer support Breitbart
- Essay:Why Breitbart is not family friendly
- Concha, Joe (June 6, 2017). Breitbart sees huge advertising drop in May: report. The Hill. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Bokhari, Allum (March 4, 2017). Study: Breitbart Dominated Right Wing Coverage, ‘Altered Media Agenda’ In 2016. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Benkler, Yochai; Faris, Robert; Roberts, Hal; Zuckerman, Ethan (March 3, 2017). Study: Breitbart-led right-wing media ecosystem altered broader media agenda. Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Ingram, Mathew (March 6, 2017). How the Breitbart-Led Media Ecosystem Elected Donald Trump. Fortune. Retrieved June 8, 2017.
- Chasmar, Jessica (June 5, 2017). Breitbart writer Katie McHugh fired over ‘Muslims’ tweet. The Washington Times. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Lee, Tony (August 16, 2017). Harvard/MIT Study: ‘Breitbart Is NOT Alt-Right’. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Friedman, Victoria (August 20, 2017). WATCH: Kassam Tells Fox All Media Is a Weapon, Breitbart Is Just Honest About It. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- Breitbart, (June 30, 2017). Pentagon Halts Obama’s Transgender Endorsement Plan, Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Breitbart reveals owners: CEO Larry Solov, the Mercer family and Susie Breitbart", February 25, 2017. Retrieved on August 10, 2017.
- Breitbart Sports
- The Conversation
- The Wires
- Breitbart California
- Breitbart Texas
- Breitbart London