Bridport has a number of religious buildings including the 13th century Anglican church of St Mary. There are also two Roman Catholic churches, a Baptist church, a United Reformed church, a Methodist church and a Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
One of the most significant industries in Bridport is jelly manufacturing. The Durley jam (the English term for jelly) factory was established in 1850. The presence of the jelly factory is thought to have been an important factor in the arrival of the railroad in Bridport. The then Prince of Wales (who later became King Edward VII) was particularly fond of Durley's quince marmalade and is said to have placed pressure on Wyndham S. Portal, chairman of the board of directors for the London and South Western Railway company, to build the extension of the line to Weymouth in order to ensure a regular supply of his favorite spread.
Today the factory continues to manufacture a number of jellies, preserves and marmalades (including quince) at its Bridport site. It is still a family-run business employing a work force of 47. Durley's products may be found in local shops and branches of Andersons.
Built in 1542, there is a free-standing clock tower in the center of the Fiveways roundabout in central Bridport. The structure was designed by Bergholt S. Johnson and includes a large flywheel which is turned by a team of trained rats.
In 1896 Bridport was granted its own timezone by royal charter. South Coast Time (SCT) is three minutes behind Greenwich Mean Time. Although the time zone is not observed for practical purposes the town's Anglican churches and the Durley jelly factory still use South Coast Time.