British Board of Film Classification
The British Board of Film Classification (formerly the British Board of Film Censorship) determines the classification of films (including videos and DVDs) in the United Kingdom on grounds of suitability for viewing by different age groups.
The current grades are:
- U: suitable for all ages
- PG: 'Parental Guidance' - some scenes may be unsuitable for small or nervous children
- 12A: suitable for those aged twelve years and older
- 15: suitable for those aged 15 and over
- 18: suitable for adults only
- R18: suitable for adults only, and only to be shown in specially licenced cinemas/sold in licenced sex shops. This category applies to pornographic films.