Bulletin Board System
Bulletin Board System (also known as BBS) is most commonly used when referring to Citadels but can refer to any message board.
The BBS, from the user's perspective, is segmented into "rooms", each of which is dedicated to a topic. Within each room are a series of posts, marked with date-time stamp from individual users. The user reads all the posts, posts his/her own reply or message, and moves onto the next room.
In this manner the message board emulates a "bulletin board", such as roommates in a large house might use to communicate with each other. Entirely text-based (at least in dial-up format), the BBS was the primitive forerunner to the modern thread-based forum.
Prescient Quotes on Police State Bulletin Board Surveillance
- "The progress of science in furnishing the government with means of espionage is not likely to stop with wiretapping. Ways may some day be developed by which the government, without removing papers from secret drawers, can reproduce them in court, and by which it will be enabled to expose to a jury the most intimate occurrences of the home. Advances in the psychic and related sciences may bring means of exploring unexpressed beliefs, thoughts and emotions. 'That places the liberty of every man in the hands of every petty officer' was said by James Otis of much lesser intrusions than these. 1 To Lord Camden a far slighter intrusion seemed 'subversive of all the comforts of society.' Can it be that the Constitution affords no protection against such invasions of individual security?"
- NSA and other Intelligence agency mass surveillance: PRISM, Wiretap - Roving wiretap
- Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Prism-break.org - Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore and Tempora.
- Duck Duck Go search engine instead of Google, Yahoo and Bing