Christian In Name Only
A Christian in Name Only (abbreviated XINO), also called a cultural Christian, nominal Christian, or more often, a liberal Christian, is someone who professes to be a Christian in public, but has a considerable lack of knowledge about the basic tenets of their professed faith. This includes ignorance of the contents of the Bible in general, and may specifically include not being able to name the 4 Gospels, the 10 Commandments, or even that Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount. They also hold beliefs contrary to what Jesus did and taught. Such beliefs include considering such things as abortions, special rights for homosexuals, social justice, gun control, and cohabitation between unmarried people to be morally acceptable. They also might believe there are other ways to attain salvation rather than accepting Jesus as Savior. When challenged on their views with quotations from Scripture, Christians in name only, if they believe in God at all, often respond with unsupported assertions as to what God really wants.
Opposition to the term
But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3:21-26 NASB
This can be taken to mean that there is no such thing as a deal breaker. If you are a Paulian Christian and accept the book of Romans as canonical then the one true standard for receiving eternal salvation can be viewed as solely the result of the personal relationship with Jesus, something that cannot be measured from the outside by other people. The counterargument is that Christ said that we will know every tree by its fruit (Matthew 7:15-20, Luke 6:43-45).
List of XINOs
- Any practitioner of liberal Christianity
- George W. Bush - Said he believes in multiple ways to Heaven, not just Christ, and is a member of the CFR.
- Anders Breivik - Mass murderer of 77 victims in Norway.
- The Roman Catholic Church
- Jimmy Carter - 39th President of the United States and member of the Democratic Party
- Bill Clinton - 42nd President of the United States and member of the Democratic Party
- Hillary Clinton - A corrupt liberal. Went to a lesson in voodoo for her honeymoon. Involved in the occult. At the October 20, 2016 Al Smith dinner, Clinton stated that salvation (justification) is by faith and good works, which blatantly contradicts the clear teaching of the Bible on salvation and clearly showing she was not a real Christian at that time.
- David Duke
- John Edwards - Former senator from North Carolina, presidential candidate, and member of the Democratic Party
- Al Gore - 45th Vice President of the United States and member of the Democratic Party
- Billy Graham - Although many people have been saved through Graham and despite some of his biblical statements, he has made many, many statements that deny key Christian doctrines such as faith in Christ alone for salvation. Also, he is a member of the ecumenical movement and has treated Roman Catholics and Jews as spiritual equals (even entrusting them with new believers). On top of that, he has made numerous unbiblical, watered-down statements such as supporting abortion in the case of rape. Also, he is a 33° Mason, which "take[s] sworn oaths to a pagan demonic god."
- Ted Haggard - Disgraced former Pastor of New Life Church.
- Adolf Hitler - Leader of Nazi Germany. Responsible for the extermination of over 6,000,000 Jews. In reality, Hitler was a Darwinian secularist who believed in adult fairy tale of evolution, hated and despised Christianity, and attempted to warp Christianity into a XINO organization that adhered to Nazi beliefs.
- Jesse Jackson - Media seeking civil rights activist and former candidate for the Democratic nomination for President.
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Jim Jones - Cult leader
- Helen Keller
- John Kerry - Democratic senator from Massachusetts and former presidential candidate.
- Joseph Kony
- The Ku Klux Klan
- Eddie Long
- Timothy McVeigh - Perpetrator of the Oklahoma City Bombing
- Michael Moore - Anti-capitalist liberal film maker.
- Barack Obama - 44th President of the United States and member of the Democratic Party 
- Albert Odulele
- Joel Olsteen - Runs a new ageist church concerned about making people feel good instead of accurately teaching the Word of God (the prosperity-gospel).
- Nancy Pelosi Democratic House Minority Leader.
- Fred Phelps - Cult leader
- Harry Reid - Democratic Senate Majority Leader.
- Much of the British Royal Family, who have endorsed homosexual "marriage" and have let the Anglican Church spiritually decline under their watch.
- Al Sharpton - Hosts a show on MSNBC and never misses a chance to stir up racial animosity.
- Rick Warren - Runs a feel-good, new-age style church. Gave the inaugural at Obama's swearing-in as President. CFR member. Runs his church to gain members, not to preach the gospel.
- Oprah Winfrey - Talk show host and media mogul. Endorsed Obama in '08 and '12.
- Jeremiah Wright - Obama's pastor and preacher of Black Liberation Theology.
- Sloth (sin)
- Cafeteria Christianity
- Fast Food Christianity
- Fluffy bunny
- Liberal Christianity
- Christians in Name Only?
- Are you a Cultural Christian? from the Christian Research Institute
- The Nominal Christian
- Matthew ch. 7, Conservative Bible
- Luke ch. 6, Conservative Bible
- Gutierrez-Cachila, Suzette (October 27, 2016). Hillary Clinton: Both Faith and Good Works Needed for Salvation. The Gospel Herald Society. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- West, Marsha (October 21, 2016). Clinton at Al Smith Dinner: “In Order to Achieve Salvation, We Need Both Faith and Good Works”. Christian Research Network. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- To be precise, he's the head of the Church of Global Warming, that insists that man-made global warming is real, and you must give tithes to it.
- Johnson, Christopher J. E. (July 17, 2013). Wolves in Costume: Billy Graham. creationliberty.com. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Despite being raised Roman Catholic and claiming that Jesus was his inspiration, Hitler was only using Christianity to gain favor with the German people. His true beliefs were based off of his social darwinistic views.
- Hitler and Evolution. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- John Baskette, Was Hitler a Christian?. Answers in Action. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Bergman, Jerry, Dr. (November 1, 1999). Darwinism and the Nazi Race Holocaust. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Hodge, Bodie (July 13, 2009). The Results of Evolution. Answers in Genesis. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Who was a rather radical Socialist, founding member of the anti-Christian ACLU, and personal friend of Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger. Most don't know this about her and only know about her from The Miracle Worker.
- Barack Obama may be a special case. There is much evidence that he may be a Muslim who is practicing taqiyya, an Islamic custom which allows a Muslim to conceal his true religion if the adherent feels it would be beneficial to do so.
- The leader of radical Hyper-Calvinist church that protests the funerals of soldiers killed on duty. Due to the indecent and Un-American, and utterly un-Christian nature of this activity, he would appear to be Christian in name only, if that.
- a liberal so-called "Christian" and a New-Age-style occultist.