Cindy Sheehan is the mother of Spc. Casey Austin Sheehan who was killed in action in Iraq in 2004. She is a co-founder and President of Gold Star Families for Peace and the author of two books, Not One More Mother’s Child and Dear President Bush. Sheehan received heavy media coverage of her activist remarks regarding President Bush, calling him "the biggest terrorist in the world today" and at the same time praising the authoritarian president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez for "supporting life and peace". Sheehan has recently announced her intention to challenge the Congressional seat of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for failing to initiate impeachment proceedings against President Bush.
On July 4, 2005, Cindy Sheehan posted on LewRockwell.com,
|“||I have distressing news for the Soccer Safety Moms and the NASCAR Dads who are such ardent supporters of this administration and war: Your grandchildren and children who will be entering Kindergarten this fall will be fighting George's endless war if he gets his way and is allowed to continue spreading the cancer of imperialism... I know it was "worth it" to Dick Cheney who was the CEO of Halliburton ...I will never be able to celebrate another patriotic holiday without mourning what this nation has stolen from my family....Casey's sacrifice was not "worth it" and George needs to ...wake up and smell the apple pie...||”|
On 29 May 2007, Sheehan issued a statement on a blog saying,
|“||I was the darling of the so-called left as long as I limited my protests to George Bush and the Republican Party. ...However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the “left” started labeling me with the same slurs...The most devastating conclusion that I reached ... was that Casey did indeed die for nothing....killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think. ...I have also tried to work within a peace movement that often puts personal egos above peace and human life. ...George Bush will never be impeached because if the Democrats dig too deeply, they may unearth a few skeletons in their own graves ...This is my resignation letter as the “face” of the American anti-war movement. ...Good-bye America…you are not the country that I love...||”|
Parents of soldiers killed in action have taken issue with her actions, specifically her use in protests of the names of other soldiers who have been killed in the Iraq War. Some parents of slain soldiers have supported her activism. Christopher Hitchens writing for Slate observed, "Sheehan has obviously taken a short course in the Michael Moore/Ramsey Clark school of Iraq analysis and has not succeeded in making it one atom more elegant or persuasive."  Journalists reported that Sheehan agreed to make commercials for John Kerry during the 2004 Presidential campaign and was put on his campaign payroll, however it appears the commercials may have never been produced.
Sheehan and her Gold Star Families for Peace anti-war group have received much support from Democrats, World Can't Wait Coalition, CODE PINK, Women for Peace and former KKK activist David Duke. As the public face of the anti-war movement Sheehan made extremely antisemitic remarks, and was critical of Neo-conservatives, blaming Israel for her son's death. Specifically, Sheehan alleged:
|“||Casey was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. We were told that we were attacked on 9/11 because the terrorists hate our freedoms and democracy … not for the real reason, because the Arab Muslims who attacked us hate our middle-eastern foreign policy.||”|
The PNAC, or Project for the New American Century, founded in 1997 is a think tank whose stated goals are to keep American policymakers and the public focused upon America's global leadership role at the end of the Cold War and avoid a flight into isolationism again. Liberal anti-Semites  have attacked it as a Jewish conspiracy. Sheehan's remarks were condemned by 1988 Democratic Presidential Nominee Michael Dukakis's campaign manager and prominent commentator or DNC affairs, Susan Estrich. Estrich rejoined,
|“||If the “antiwar movement” in America is defined, even remotely, as an anti-Israel movement, it will fail. That is certain to me. ...If I believed in conspiracy theories, I’d think that the right would like nothing better than to have Cindy Sheehan lead it for just that reason. ...They might be laughing all the way to the bank about the embrace of her by the socalled liberal media. ...To tell the truth, it’s just what I’m afraid of.||”|
Shortly after Sheehan announced her retirement, Sheehan revealed plans to unseat U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi from the 8th Congressional District in California. Appealing to the base of Democratic voters in the San Francisco Bay area, Sheehan claims support three to one positive. Sheehan wrote,
|“||The Democrats are the party of slavery  and were the party that started every war in the 20th Century except the other Bush debacle. The Federal Reserve, permanent federal (and unconstitutional) income taxes, Japanese Concentration Camps...||”|
|“||Those who threw atomic bombs and used the weapons of mass destruction against Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the Americans.||”|
only Sheehan did not blame America first, but rather the Democratic party specifically:
|“||not one, but two atom bombs dropped on the innocent citizens of Japan were brought to us via the Democrats.||”|
- Sheehan, Chavez join to bash Bush, Iraq war, MSNBC, Jan 29, 2006.
- Halliburton Has Been Very, Very Good to Dick Cheney, retrieved from democrats.org 07/09/04.
- Not Worth It, by Cindy Sheehan, July 4th, 2005. Retrieved from LewRockwell.com, 06/02/07.
- Good Riddance Attention Whore, by Cindy Sheehan, CommonDreams.org, May 29, 2007.
- Cindy Sheehan's Sinister Piffle, By Christopher Hitchens, Aug. 15, 2005.
- 'Peace Mom' Cindy Sheehan Exposed, FOX News, October 17, 2006.
- ATTAC Report
- Why Cindy Sheehan is Right!, David Duke, 8/14/2005.
- Cindy Sheehan's Crowd, New York Sun Editorial, August 11, 2005.
- The true believers, By Caroline B. Glick, Jewish World Review, Sept. 2, 2005 /28 Meanachem-Av, 5765.
- 'Neo-conservative' is a codeword for Jewish, Dr. Barry Rubin, director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Institute, Interdisciplinary Center of Herzliya, H-Net discussion April 6, 2003.
- The Cindy Sheehan you don't know, By Cathy Young, The Boston Globe, August 22, 2005.
- National Review, Dear Useful Idiot, Catherine Seipp, May 26, 2006.
- ZOG ate my brains: conspiracy theories about Jews abound, Chip Berlet, New Internationalist, Oct, 2004.
- US or Israel will attack Iran by March Submitted by James Morris on Tue, 2006-12-19 02:58. Retrieved from Kucinich 2008, 2007-05-31.
- Anti-Semitism cannot be accepted, Susan Estrich, The Gaffney Ledger, August 26, 2005.
- Segregation and Slavery were Democrat Policies, by Gary Arneson, January 2003.
- Cindy for Congress, by Cindy Sheehan, July 9, 2007. Retrieved from DailyKos July 12, 2007.
- Interview of Osama bin Laden by John Miller, ABC News, May 1998. Retrieved from PBS.org 12 July 2007.
- Cindy for Congress, DailyKos, July 9, 2007