A cold is a minor illness caused by viruses. It got its name from the belief (held in previous centuries and still held in Ayurvedic medicine and Traditional Chinese medicine) that exposure to cold or rainy weather could make you "catch cold". This was a major plot element in the 205-year-old novel Pride and Prejudice, but it is not based on modern medicine science.
Cold Attribute in Ayurvedic Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- 20 attributes or qualities or characteristics in Ayurvedic medicine
- Kapha (water and earth elements) in Ayurvedic medicine
- Vata (space and air elements) in Ayurvedic medicine
- ↑ According to modern medicine and modern science, there is no evidence that you can get a cold from exposure to cold weather or from getting chilled or overheated. 
- ↑ ... during cold-weather months people spend more time indoors in close proximity to each other, thus facilitating the spread of the virus.