A Con Con – short for a new "constitutional convention" – would be an dangerous, unprecedented assembly of representatives nationwide in order to rewrite the Constitution as permitted by its Article V. Sometimes this is euphemistically promoted as an "Article V" convention, despite how most people do not know what Article V is and that Congress has complete control over Article V conventions.
Many supporters of a Con Con have good intentions, believing that it will reduce the size and scope of the federal government. However, it is expected by many that the media and a relatively small number of people would dominate the process, with predictably liberal results.
Justice Antonin Scalia described a Con Con as a "horrible idea" during the question-and-answer session of a public event in May 2015, in New Jersey.
As Chief Justice Warren Burger stated:
- A Constitutional Convention today would be a free-for-all for special interest groups, television coverage, and press speculation.
|Con Con Supporter||Position||Comments|
|Andre Bauer||South Carolina Lieutenant Governor||His Con Con support got him on Fox News Channel on March 30, 2010|
|Newt Gingrich||Candidate for president in 2012 and former Speaker of the U.S. House||Frequently on the Fox News Channel|
|Jay Barnes||Missouri state representative|
|Saul Anuzis||Heavily promoted—but defeated—candidate for Chairman of RNC||Called for the exclusion of Ron Paul from presidential debates in 2008|
|Bill Ketron||Tennessee state senator||Has also introduced many bills to benefit the alcohol industry|
|Mark Levin||talk radio host||Intention is to reduce size and scope of government, and he gives it a new name, but the defect is the same|
|Greg Abbott||Texas Governor||Proposed nine amendments, but there were fears of a "runaway" convention that expands the size of government|
|Jim DeMint||Former U.S. Senator representing South Carolina, and Heritage Foundation President||Joined The Convention of States Project, which supports a Con Con|
|Tom Coburn||Former Oklahoma Senator|
- The Effort to Dismantle Our Constitution
- Texas Gov. Abbott calls for convention on Constitution, proposes amendments. Fox News. January 9, 2016. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Beavers, Olivia (June 12, 2017). DeMint eyes 'new mission' for Tea Party: Changing the Constitution. The Hill. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Wegmann, Philip (June 15, 2017). Jim DeMint moves on to new endeavors after Heritage Foundation: 'I don't need 300 people'. Washington Examiner. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Mason, Ian (June 14, 2017). Former Senators DeMint and Coburn Lay Out Vision to Amend Constitution. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 15, 2017.