Consciousness is the quality or state of being aware.  To be conscious in the philosophical sense means to have mental processes that are self-directed  and which provide a locus of subjective experience. Animals are alleged to possess a form of consciousness  although this is not necessarily to be equated with the Christian notion of having moral worth or an immortal soul.
Consciousness in Buddhism
- ↑ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consciousness
- ↑ http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fDMNg2y9UN8C&pg=PA161&dq=consciousness+%22self-directedness%22
- ↑ http://www.consciousentities.com/bats.htm
- ↑ http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v5/psyche-5-16-saidel.html
- ↑ http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/448