- The work it does on a particle is independent of its trajectory.
- The work done on a particle that moves along a closed trajectory (where the initial and final positions are the same, or di = df) = 0) is zero.
- The force can be written as the negative of the gradient of a potential energy function, i.e. .
- The curl of the force, is zero,
When the only forces present in a system are conservative, energy is conserved.
Examples of conservative forces include:
Friction is an example of a non-conservative force:
- Serway and Beichner, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Fifth Edition