Cultural Marxism is a branch of Marxist ideology which had its origins the early part of the twentieth century. Cultural Marxism comprises much of the foundation of Political correctness. It emerged as a response of European Marxist intellectuals disillusioned by the early political failures of conventional economic Marxist ideology.
The central idea of Cultural Marxism is to soften up and prepare Western Civilization for economic Marxism after a gradual, relentless, sustained attack on every institution of Western culture, including schools, literature, art, film, the Judeo-Christian religious tradition, the family, sexual mores, etc. The attacks are usually framed in Marxist terms as a class struggle between oppressors and oppressed; the members of the latter class allegedly include women, minorities, homosexuals, and adherents of non-Western religions such as Islam.
While Marx's Communist Manifesto focused on the alleged class struggle between bourgeois (owners of the means of production) and proletariat (workers), Marx did address culture, which he intimated would change after his economic vision was implemented. Patrick Buchanan argues that Cultural Marxism succeeded where Marx failed.
Think about this: These guys left, THESE GUYS LEFT NAZI GERMANY and Mussolini's Italy to come to California in the 1940's and they lived by the beach, and they were depressed by the relentless cheery-ness - the productivity; and the capitalism that they witnessed around them. And they came up with, at the end of the day; We can call it Cultural Marxism, but at the end of the day, we experience it on a day to day basis, by that I mean a minute by minute, second by second basis. It’s political correctness and it’s multiculturalism.
In the video, Breitbart discusses the Frankfurt School, Critical Theory, Herbert Marcuse, Antonio Gramsci, Max Horkheimer, Theodor Adorno, Bertolt Brecht, and others of the German School, many which emigrated to America. He further wrote about Cultural Marxism more in-depth in his book Righteous Indignation'.
Cultural Marxism has become a focal topic for many conspiracy theorist websites which seek to cloak their anti-semitic, anti-jew messages behind a legitimate topic. It is true that many of the members of the Frankfurt School were Jewish, but their big problem was that they were Marxists.
Conspiracy theory dismissal
Other sources seek to treat the entire topic as a conspiracy itself, by casting Cultural Marxism as a myth or a hoax. Wikipedia has entire section titled Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory within its page for the Frankfurt School.
- cf. External source: Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America is a James Jaeger Film with ambition to show how a love affair with collectivist ideologies has lead to ever bigger government and the welfare-warfare state. Lead by a Marxist splinter group called the "Frankfurt School" -- "the long march through the institutions" has infiltrated every corner of Western culture to corrupt traditional Christian values with "political correctness," another name for "cultural Marxism."
- cf. The tendency of dictatorial ideologies to influence public institutions etc. so that these would serve their agendas is termed as Gleichschaltung.
- Buchanan: ‘Cultural Marxism’ Has Succeeded Where Marx and Lenin Failed, CNSNews
- Andrew Breitbart - Media War
- On the Myth of "Cultural Marxism"
- Frankfurt School - Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory