Dan Flynn (born February 21, 1943) is a Republican businessman and rancher from Van, Texas who has been the state representative from District 2 in the Texas House of Representatives since 2003. This district encompasses Hunt, Rains, and Van Zandt counties in the northeastern portion of Texas. He is also the former interim county judge of Van Zandt County, based in Canton, Texas, located to the east of Dallas.
In December 2008, Flynn attracted statewide attention when he introduced unsuccessful legislation which would have mandated that public documents be printed only in English.
In 2011, Flynn served on the House Defense and Veterans Affairs and the Homeland Security and Public Safety committees.He is a member of the Texas Sunset Advisory Commission, which audits the operations of state boards, commissions, and agency.
Late in 2010, Representative Bryan Hughes of Mineola in Wood County, claimed that Larry Phillips, a Republican lawmaker from Sherman in north Texas, told Hughes that both Flynn and Erwin Cain, the newly-elected conservative representative from Sulphur Springs, would be significantly redistricted for the next primary election on March 6, 2012. The alleged redistricting threat was because they had opposed the second-term reelection of Texas House Speaker Joe Straus, a moderate Republican from San Antonio. In a hearing before the House Ethics Committee, chaired by another East Texas Representative Chuck Hopson of Jacksonville (an ally of Speaker Straus), Phillips denied having made such a threat to Hughes. Neither Hughes nor Phillips taped the conversation. No judgment was rendered by the committee because of the lack of corroborating witnesses.
- Legislative Reference Library of Texas: Dan Flynn. lrl.state.tx.us. Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Dan Flynn State Representative District 2. daflynn.com. Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- "Representative files to make English state's official language," Daily Texan On-line
- Dan Flynn: Texas House of Representatives Member Page. house.state.tx.us. Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- "Texas House Ethics Panel Takes No Action on Alleged Redistricting Threats by Vice-chair Phillips," November 23, 2010. americanindependent.com. Retrieved on September 28, 2011.