This planned mass murder campaign was authored at the highest levels of the Sudanese government and deliberately intended to crush a minor insurgency from the South by exterminating a large percentage of each of the three ethnic groups that disproportionately comprised its supporters. The regime has used rape, starvation, mass expulsions, terror bombing, random massacres and organized terrorism to carry out this bloodbath.
Left-wing deniers have ridiculed the idea of genocide in Darfur, calling it a fabrication made up by the imperialist "evil empire" America to steal Sudan's oil. Wikipedia writes that "some" have "alleged" a death toll in the hundreds of thousands, but this is "controversial." The ultra-leftist British demagouge George Galloway has called the genocide "one of the big lies that Bush and Blair have invented."
Some 450,000 people have been killed.
Kenneth Levin wrote:
- A key factor in the impunity with which the Arab government of Sudan has been able to pursue its campaign of rape and mass murder in Darfur has been the virtually universal support it receives from the rest of the Arab world.
United Nations General Secretary Ban Ki Moon has referred to the Darfur slaughter as an ethnic conflict pitting Arab militias against black rebels and farmers arising at least in part from climate change.
The Human Rights Commission expressed:
- ...deep concern over the ongoing violations of human rights and international humanitarian law in Darfur. 
Citing U.N. statistics, Ban Ki Moon claimed that average precipitation has declined some 40 percent since the early 1980s and that it coincided with a rise in temperatures of the Indian Ocean, disrupting seasonal monsoons, suggesting that the drying of sub-Saharan Africa derives, to some degree, from global warming. 
- Amanda F. Grzyb, ed. World and Darfur: International Response to Crimes Against Humanity in Western Sudan (2nd ed. 2010)
- ↑ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/usa.sudan/print
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R77g1o5K428
- ↑ http://www.sudanreeves.org/Article102.html
- ↑ (Front Page Magazine)
- ↑ A Climate Culprit In Darfur, By Ban Ki Moon, Washington Post, June 16, 2007, Page A15