The deep state (sometimes called the "permanent state") refers to when unelected bureaucrats are the ones who actually control a government and its policies, rather than the people and those they elect. It is a shadow government, typically entrenched liberal bureaucrats in government agencies or the armed forces, who are involved in the manipulation or control of government policy and the mainstream media. The deep state can include career government officials and their buddies in the national political parties. While intelligence agencies and other national security-related agencies make up much of the deep state, the deep state has very strong control over every government agency.
In February 2017, U.S. President Donald Trump made public his fight with the intelligence community over allegations that Russian spy networks helped get him in power, leading to popular use of the term "deep state" to describe the entrenched government in Washington, D.C. The “deep state” reportedly hopes to obstruct and dismantle the Trump Administration, with NSA intelligence analyst John Schindler warning that a friend in the “intelligence community” told him that Trump “will die in jail.”
The establishment opposes President Trump
Due to his promotion and support of conservative, America First policies, President Trump faced large opposition from the left, including from within the government bureaucracy and establishment. The fact that members of the Deep State have grown visibly scared of reports stating such confirms this view.
The anti-Trump deep state was likely responsible for a press release by the Environmental Protection Agency which included criticism of a major executive order President Trump signed – something that governmental agencies never do when reporting on actions done by their officials.
Sebastian Gorka, a conservative national security advisor to President Trump, has revealed several examples of the deep state at work trying to undermine Trump's conservative and nationalist agenda.
Some alternative media and former insiders claim that the constant leaks coming out of President Donald Trump's administration and thinly veiled threats on the part of the intelligence community, is further proof of the existence of a shadow government.
In early January, Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show and suggested the intelligence community may try to get exact revenge on President Trump:
|“||Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you. So, even for a practical, supposedly, hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this.||”|
According to Amanda Taub and Max Fisher from The New York Times, "deep state" is "where shadowy networks within government bureaucracies, often referred to as 'deep states,' undermine and coerce elected governments."
Bill Kristol, the prominent Republican analyst who founded The Weekly Standard, wrote on Twitter, "Obviously strongly prefer normal democratic and constitutional politics. But if it comes to it, prefer the deep state to the Trump state."
The assassination of US President John F. Kennedy, according to some in the alternative media, was actually a coup d'etat that escalated the Vietnam War for the military–industrial complex, but the Warren Commission (whose members were part of the deep state) found, and the mainstream media successfully presented it to the public as, that is was the work of a lone gunman devoid of deep state connections.
In early March 2017, President Trump announced the Obama had wiretapped his office in Trump Tower during the campaign. The leftist mainstream media accused him of having no evidence for that claim, even though they contradicted themselves through earlier reports and showed themselves to be hypocrites. President Trump requested Congress to investigate this.
On March 22, 2017, GOP U.S. Representative Devin Nunes revealed that some of the Trump Team's conversations had been spied upon. On March 29, 2017, Evelyn Farkas, the deputy assistant secretary of defense under Obama, admitted that the Obama Administration attempted to gather as much intelligence as possible on Trump's alleged ties to Russia after the 2016 election and that it tried to hide their intelligence sources from the Trump Administration. U.S. intelligence agencies had been investigating people in Trump's presidential campaign throughout the campaign season. According to a Fox News report, an unnamed but well-known and senior intelligence official not associated with the Federal Bureau of Investigation directed investigations attempting to unveil private Americans working with Trump's transition team.
According to a June 2017 Harvard-Harris poll, nearly 2/3rds of people believed that "there exists a campaign to delegitimize" President Trump, and 54% of people believed that the deep state "is trying to unseat President Trump using leaks of classified information."
- Hayward, John (August 31, 2017). Gorka: Trump Has Best Instincts, but Obama Holdovers Are ‘Massive Problem’. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Newman, Alex (October 26, 2017). Deep State “Intelligence” Threatens Trump, Self-Government. The New American. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Newman, Alex (October 20, 2017). “Deep State” Bureaucracy vs. Trump, America, Constitution. The New American. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- US intel community 'ready to go nuclear' against Donald Trump over Russia ties, claims former NSA analyst
- Singman, Brooke (January 1, 2017). Trump faces bureaucratic battle in implementing agenda. Fox News. Retrieved February 1, 2017.
- Kurtz, Howard (February 3, 2017). The empire strikes back: Why Trump's private talks with foreign leaders were leaked. Fox News. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- POLITICO: Obama Admin Bureaucrats ‘Panicked’ by Breitbart Spotlight: Don’t Question Our Loyalty! Breitbart News. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (March 30, 2017). ‘Deep State’ Suspected in EPA Press Release ‘Error’. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Wong, Kristina (September 18, 2017). Sebastian Gorka Discusses How the ‘Permanent State’ Is Undermining Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Greenwald: Empowering the "Deep State" to Undermine Trump is Prescription for Destroying Democracy
- As Leaks Multiply, Fears of a ‘Deep State’ in America
- Bill Kristol Backs ‘Deep State’ over President Trump, Republican Government
- Shear, Michael D.; Schmidt, Michael S (March 4, 2017). Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones. The New York Times. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Pollak, Joel B. (March 5, 2017). DeepStateGate: Democrats’ ‘Russian Hacking’ Conspiracy Theory Backfires. Breitbart. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Hayward, John (March 5, 2017). DeepStateGate: Trump Ends the Wiretapping Innuendo Game by Dealing Himself In. Breitbart. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- Weber, Joseph (March 5, 2017). Trump calls for congressional probe into possible wiretapping of his campaign. Fox News. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- Derespina, Cody (March 23, 2017). Trump basks in Nunes surveillance news: 'So that means I'm right'. Fox News. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Former Obama official discloses rush to get intelligence on Trump team. Fox News. March 29, 2017. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Poor, Jeff (March 29, 2017). Fmr Obama Official Reveals Pre-Inauguration Effort to Gather Intel on Incoming Trump Team. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Bertrand, Natasha (January 24, 2017). A look at the scope of the intelligence community's investigations into Trump's ties to Russia. Business Insider. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- McCabe, Neil W. (March 31, 2017). Fox News: Senior Obama Intelligence Official Unmasked Trump Associates. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- Lee, Tony (July 27, 2017). Harvard Poll: Nearly Two-Thirds Believe Campaign Exists to ‘Delegitimize’ Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Lee, Tony (July 26, 2017). Harvard Poll: Majority Believe Deep State Leaking to ‘Unseat’ Trump. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 1, 2017.