Depression refers to:
- The Great Depression of the 1930s
Depress According to Ayurvedic Psychology
According to Ayurvedic psychology, in addition to cultivating one's faith through prayer and practicing virtue, stress management breathing and relaxation techniques, regular meditation and a appropriate form of daily exercise could help in the treatment of depression.
According to Ayurvedic psychology, depression is intimately connected with the:
- Afflictive emotions
- Three poisons (Greed-Lust of Vata, Anger-Hatred of Pitta, Ignorance of Kapha)
- Sin and immorality
- Karma: Cause and effect
- Diet and nutrition
- Daily routine
Vata depression is connected with:
- Anxiety, Worry, Fear
- Panic or Panic attack
- Greed, gluttony and lust are part of the Seven Deadly Sins resulting from excessive desire for things outside the self. According to Ayurvedic medicine they result from Vata (Space and Air element) Dosha disturbance in the mind/body.
- Vata (Space and Air element) Dosha in Ayurvedic medicine
- Vata disease
- Vata emotion
- Connected with irregular digestion (vishama agni), coldness / cold attributes, constipation, irregular menstruation, dysmenorrhea (painful and [[irregular menstruation), occipital headaches, hyperactivitym, ADD, ADDHD, insomnia
Pitta depression is connected with:
- Pride, envy, anger and hatred are part of the Seven Deadly Sins resulting from excessive self-interest. According to Ayurvedic medicine they result from Pitta (Fire and Water element) dosha disturbance in the mind/body.
- Anger, Irritability, Hatred, Jealousy
- Pitta (Fire and Water element) Dosha in Ayurvedic medicine
- Pitta disease
- Pitta emotion
- Connected with intense digestion (tikshna agni), too much greasy-fatty food and spicy qualities in the diet, too much heat / hot, loose stools, diarrhea and insomnia.
Kapha depression is connected with:
- Sloth or laziness are part of the Seven Deadly Sins resulting from a deficiency of the desires that inspire us to act for good or ill. According to Ayurvedic medicine they result from Kapha (Water and Earth element) dosha in Ayurvedic medicine disturbance in the mind-body.
- Kapha (Water and Earth element) Dosha in Ayurvedic medicine
- Kapha disease
- Kapha emotion
- Connected with slow digestion (manda agni), underactive thyoid or hypothyroid, obesity, sloth, laziness, diabetes, too much fat and sugar in the diet, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle, coldness / cold and heavy attributes and hypersomnia (excessive sleep)