Dr. Douglas Jesseph is a professor of philosophy at the University of South Florida (USF). Douglas Joseph joined the Philosophy Department faculty at USF in 2008 after serving several years as professor of philosophy at North Carolina State University. Dr. Jesseph received his Ph.D. in Philosophy from Princeton University in 1987, after gaining a B.A. Mathematics and Philosophy from Macalester College in 1981. Jesseph's research is in the history of early modern philosophy with a focus on the philosophy of mathematics within that period.
Concerning atheism, Dr. Douglas Jesseph has been described as "the most impressive debater to date" by Jeffery Jay Lowder, a founder of the website Internet Infidels. However, in a 1996 debate with William Lane Craig, Douglas Jesseph claimed that the origin of life had a detailed atheistic explanation(s). This confidence was not shared by the highly respected origin of life researcher Stanley Miller. Indeed, in 1996, John Horgan wrote that "Miller seemed unimpressed with any of the current proposals on the origin of life, referring to them as “nonsense” or “paper chemistry.”" In a 1996 edition of Scientific American, Horgan went on to say: "The origin of life is a science writer's dream. It abounds with exotic scientists and exotic theories, which are never entirely abandoned or accepted, but merely go in and out of fashion."
At the atheist blog Common Sense Atheism, the atheist Luke Muehlhauser said of the Craig vs. Jesseph debate: "A very typical debate in which Craig’s opponent is not prepared for Craig’s skill, speed, or organization, and things just get worse for Jesseph as things go along and he falls further and further behind."
- Squaring the Circle: The War between Hobbes and Wallis (1999)
- Berkeley's philosophy of mathematics (1993)
- Are atheists smarter than the average bear? - satire
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Dr. Douglas Jesseph's webpage at the University of South Florida
- Online Resume of Dr. Douglas Jesseph
- A transcript of the oral debate which was held in 1996 at North Carolina State University between atheist philosopher Dr. Douglas Jesseph and Christian philosopher William Lane Craig
- Review of Douglas M. Jesseph's, Berkeley's Philosophy of Mathematics
- PIPL profile of Dr. Douglas Jesseph
- William Lane Craig’s Debates (Reviews) by Luke Muehlhauser at Common Sense Atheism on February 7, 2009