Dudley (pronounced "dud-lie") is a town near Birmingham, England. It is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. It is widely regarded for its real ale and the oldest chip shop in the UK. The town's mayor and "first citizen" is Councillor David Stanley. The mayor is a popular local figure, well-known for holding balls for the benefit of two charities, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and Dudley Alzheimer’s Society. The RNLI is one of the town's official charities, and has been since the establishment of the Dudley Lifeboat Station in 1838. Since its creation, the Dudley Lifeboat has assisted in over 25,000 rescues. The town also has a zoo and zoological gardens, founded in 1935 and located in the grounds of Dudley's medieval castle.
- ↑ http://www.dudleycamra.org.uk/ CAMRA:The Campaign for Real Ale
- ↑ http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART39758.html Historic Dudley Chippy Saved By Black Country Museum
- ↑ http://www.dudley.gov.uk/welcome/news-in-dudley/february-2008/have-a-ball-with-the-mayor-of-dudley The Mayor of Dudley will be having a ball raising money for his charities at his annual big civic bash.
- ↑ http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/rnli_through_time RNLI timeline
- ↑ http://www.dudleyzoo.org.uk/zoonews.htm DZG homepage
- ↑ http://www.dudleyzoo.org.uk/theCastle.htm Dudley Castle homepage