An entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual comes to believe that privileges are instead rights, and that they are to be expected as a matter of course. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints or beliefs:
- A lack of appreciation for the sacrifices of others. Those with an entitlement mentality often criticize the military—failing to acknowledge that it is that selfsame military, and the sacrifices of the countless servicemen who have died in the service of their country, which ensures that they are free to make such criticisms.
- Lack of personal responsibility. Just as those with an entitlement mentality typically expect others to solve their problems, they also refuse to accept that the problems are of their own making. Thus, those with an entitlement mentality are frequently unable or unwilling to acknowledge fault or error; this typically leads to denial.
- An inability to accept that actions carry consequences. This can be seen in public schools (see public school values), where grade inflation and social promotion have resulted in students who expect that they will be promoted to the next grade regardless of their level of effort.
- Arrogantly assuming that privilege reflects on the merits of the individual in question. For example, someone who is fortunate enough to be born extremely intelligent might arrogantly assume that that intelligence is an achievement on his part.
- Increased dependency on Nanny state big government intervention, and an expectation that the government will intervene to solve personal problems. Upon losing a job, for instance, someone with an entitlement mentality is likely to turn to the government for unemployment handouts, rather than immediately seeking another job.
- Ignorance of the Bill of Rights. Those with an entitlement mentality frequently imagine so-called "rights" that are in no way guaranteed—for instance, the "right to employment," or the "right to not be offended" or the "right to healthcare". Moreover, they misinterpret the Declaration of Independence's affirmation of their right to pursue happiness as a Constitutional guarantee of happiness.
- Support for wholesale expansion of Welfare state social programs as a cure-all for perceived "injustice."
- Liberal values and Liberalism: Similarities between Communism, Nazism and liberalism
- Public school values entitlement mentality Indoctrination of the Teacup Generation by Public schools in the United States and Common Core
- Teachers' unions: National Education Association and American Federation of Teachers
- Hollywood values: List of celebrities against Second Amendment - always Liberal Elitists
- San Francisco values Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Leland Yee
- Fashion industry values and drug addition
- Professor values and Political correctness
- Obamunism: Obamanomics Economic planning of the Obama administration fiscal policy, Obama administration monetary policy, Obamacare, Federal funding via Crony capitalism (Obama donor list, Bailout, Obama administration corporate bailouts, Obamageddon), Deficit spending and the National debt
- John Maynard Keynes liberal Keynesian economics and Fabian Socialist influence on Barack Obama
- Big Government-Welfare State-Nanny State-Police State: Globalist-Statist-Socialist-Communist
- National Socialist German Workers' Party (Nazi Party)
- Nazism and socialism: National Socialism - the Nazis were elitist Police state liberals not conservatives
- Liberal totalitarianism
- Libertarian values and Conservative values/Traditional values are the original American Patriot values
- Capitalism and Free enterprise
- Small town values of middle class Real America
- Family values: Virginity, Sanctity of life, Family-Marriage, Homeschooling teaching Virtue, Duty, and Self-reliance
- Essay:Conservative Benefits