Essay:Greatest Mysteries of American History
Here is a growing list of unsolved mysteries in American History:
- Where did the American Indians come from?
- Did the Vikings really settle in North American, at L'anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland? If so, then why would they abandon it?
- How was Christopher Columbus able to navigate himself across the Atlantic Ocean on his second voyage to find the precise same location that he colonized on his first voyage?
- What happened to the Lost Colony?
- Did the Puritans do better economically by abandoning socialism in the Mayflower Compact?
- Was the Mayflower trip motivated by profit, or by faith?
- Did Christopher Columbus bring back slaves to Europe?
- Did Puritans allow dancing?
- What was the cause of the possession-like symptoms of the young girls in Salem in 1692, which their doctor attributed to the devil?
- Did the U.S. Constitution incorporate Roman and other prior systems of government, or was the Constitution primarily an original work?
- Did Benedict Arnold lead the American Revolutionary army to triumph at Saratoga, or was his military leadership ineffective before be became a traitor?
- Did Alexander Hamilton cut a deal with Thomas Jefferson to make him president?
- Was Meriwether Lewis murdered?
- Was the so-called corrupt bargain real and, if so, was there anything wrong with it?
- Why did the Tariff of Abominations pass?
- What is the real source of the name "Whig" in the "Whig Party"?
- Did the bloodshed that started the Mexican War occur on American or Mexican soil, indicative of who was the aggressor?
- Why wasn't Congressman Preston Butler prosecuted for violently beating Senator Charles Sumner to near death?
- Did President James Buchanan arrange the Dred Scott decision?
- Did George McLellan scorn Abraham Lincoln because he was homeschooled?
- What caused the USS Maine to explode?
- What caused the Great Depression?
- What really caused the repeal of Prohibition?
- Who was the lone dissent on the jury in the court martial of Billy Mitchell?
- Did FDR have advance knowledge of the attack on Pearl Harbor?
- Why did FDR, who knew he was dying, replace his Vice President Henry Wallace with Harry S Truman to make Truman the next president?
- Why did the U-2 spy plane crash-land in the Soviet Union?
- Did a communist sympathizer in the U.S. government leak plans of the Bay of Pigs invasion to Castro?
- Why did the social movement of the 1960s end so abruptly?
- What happened to Jimmy Hoffa, Judge Crater and D. B. Cooper, who disappeared without a trace?
- What role did Justice William Brennan have in writing Roe v. Wade?
- Where did President Ronald Reagan get the idea and impetus for proposing the Strategic Defense Initiative?
(add to list)