Liberal ideology, and liberal arguments, have their greatest appeal with intellectual wannabees: people who are long in academic degrees but short in intellectual achievements of their own. Perhaps they genuinely fall for the superficial, fallacious liberal logic, or perhaps they just enjoy the attention and extra income in being pseudo-intellectuals and media-promoted experts.
Examples of not-quite-intellectuals who promote liberal arguments include:
- privileged youth, weak student at Yale, no original work
- Antioch College graduate (geology major), his work is riddled with contradictions
- described as a "whiz kid," he wrote or did nothing of significance, mishandled Vietnam War
- famous for making a few guesses about linguistics some of which turned out to be partially correct. He has not done any work in linguistics in 30 years and just spends his time promoting left-wing politics outside his supposed area of expertise.
- claimed to be proving the completeness and consistency of math, a goal Godel proved was impossible. Advocated unilateral nuclear disarmament.
- privileged youth, rise to the top based upon family name and inherited connections. Currently publisher of the New York Times.
- poor student
- insisted that there must be life in outer space
- flunked the D.C. bar exam; worked on the House Judiciary impeachment staff investigating Richard Nixon. Hillary's work was so poorly conceived and drafted that a member of the Committee, William Dixon said Hillary "paid no attention to the way the Constitution works in this country, the way politics works, the way Congress works, the way legal safeguards are set up."
- Supported Socialists in the Spanish Civil War. Overrated writer. Went insane and killed himself.
- Mostly wrote silly comedies, little of substance. Sexual deviant.
- Promoted, if not created the philosophical view of Existentialism with an atheistic bent, also ended up having to repeat College due to flunking philosophy the first time around. Spent his time promoting various revolutionaries as well as cited Che Guevara as being "the most complete human being of the age." Sexual deviant.
- Promoted Post-Structuralism, promoted various revolutionaries, including the Shah of Iran and Mao. In addition, was a huge sexual deviant who knowingly spread AIDS after landing himself with the infection.
Please add other examples.
Praised Heaped by Pseudo-Intellectual Liberals on Each Other
It is remarkable how pseudo-intellectual liberals praise each other as geniuses. Examples include:
- Laurence Tribe, who saw the best law students for several decades, insisted that fellow liberal Barack Obama was the "best student I ever had" and the "most exciting research assistant."
Please add other examples.
There are two primary motivations for the liberal advocacy by pseudo-intellectuals:
- it is easier for them to obtain acclaim from the liberal press than from real intellectuals
- they genuinely fail to understand certain abstractions, such as:
- how cutting taxes often increases government revenue (Laffer Curve)
- how guns save more lives through deterrence and prevention than they harm
- how childbirth has a positive effect on health, and thus abortion harms health
- how cease-fires always help a determined opponent in war
- how arms limitations treaties always helps a dishonest adversary
- they expect superficial, flawed logic to persuade others, such as:
- claiming that inequality in outcome implies discrimination
- demanding equal treatment for genders in all situations
- claiming that the gay agenda is like the civil rights struggle by African Americans
- insisting that government can reduce poverty with more programs
Please add to these lists.
The liberal believes they are superior to others. Not in a physical sense but mentally, they have their high ground and nobody dare challenge. If you challenge Liberal Intellectualism thinking and beliefs, you risk being ridiculed. A good example is the classic Democrats versus Democratics statement. Liberal Intellectualism will say that it is not proper to use the sentence with the word Democrats, it must be proper, so it must be Democratics. However, 'Democrats' will suffice rather well and the reader understands regardless. There are many instances where Democratic politicians use the word Democrats. Howard Dean says "Democrats have a lot of work to do among seniors." The nation's liberal newspapers use the word Democrats. Google's spellcheck prefers Democrats. The website for congress is addressed 'democrats.senate.gov' Excuses for insisting are endless and a part of Liberal Intellectualism thinking.
True Intellectualism Among Liberals
Some liberals, while holding false views on God and the world, have made serious intellectual achievements in limited areas.
- Made significant breakthroughs in psychology that are considered foundational to this day, and was instrumental in developing pragmatism, and the philosophy of pragmatism (ignored by most modern liberals). However, he did not believe in religion.
- Played a significant role in developing the atomic bomb at the Los Alamos Project.
- Developed the Feynman diagrams in quantum electrodynamics.
- Successfully discovered the cause of the Challenger disaster.
- A musical genius, he was hostile to family values.
Explanation: some focus their powers of reasoning on the wrong problems, or start with a flawed set of assumptions. Because of their intellectual achievements in one field, they mistaken believe that they are right about everything.
- Al Gore bragged, "I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
- Tribe admitted he was being considered, but he was not nominated. "Under Clinton, Crimson tide washes over Washington," The Boston Globe (Mar. 4, 1993).
- "Joseph Bottum, books and arts editor of the Weekly Standard, presents overwhelming evidence to support his claim that Tribe's 1985 book, God Save This Honorable Court, was largely copied from a 1974 book called Justices and Presidents by the University of Virginia's Henry J. Abraham. Bottum's case rests on the relentless citation of example after example where it is clear that Tribe has copied both the substance and, in many cases, the exact wording of Abraham's text. Most damning is Tribe's repetition of errors, like slight misquotations of original sources, in Abraham's book."
- Hell to Pay: The Unfolding Story of Hillary Rodham Clinton, By Barbara Olson, Regnery Publishing, Inc, 2001, pp. 122-123.
- Blanchard, O. Macroeconomics, 4th edition. 2003, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall (p. 430-431, 500)
- Begg, D. Fischer, S. & Dornbusch, R. Economics, 8th Edition. 2005, Berkshire, United Kingdom: McGraw-Hill (p. 289-290)