Federalist No. 42
Federalist No. 42, authored by James Madison under the pen name Publius, is the forty second of 85 essays. Titled "The Powers Conferred by the Constitution Further Considered", Madison writes about the intention of the Enumerated Powers is to prevent governmental overreach.
It was published on January 22, 1788.
Proper role of government
In the essay, Madison writes about six classes of power granted to the federal government:
- Security against foreign danger;
- Regulation of the intercourse with foreign nations;
- Maintenance of harmony and proper intercourse among the States;
- Certain miscellaneous objects of general utility;
- Restraint of the States from certain injurious acts;
- Provisions for giving due efficacy to all these powers.
Most other powers should remain with the states, as local matters.