A "gay disease" such as AIDS spreads among the homosexual population because of promiscuous "gay" sexual practices. The chief gay disease of the late 1970s and early 1980s was a then unexplained epidemic which afflicted homosexual men, discovered in the United States and finally called AIDS and attributed to HIV. The physician who called it a "gay disease" did so for unimpeachable motives; it was discovered (and given its original name) by a doctor who himself was a homosexual, so any notion of the name being intended to demean or stigmatize (rather than to help) is ill-formed, although the term itself fell into disrepute later on.
- AIDS was originally dubbed a "gay disease" because it "first appeared in the U.S. as a devastating scourge afflicting gay men in cities like San Francisco and New York City in the late 1970s."
- AIDS tipped in 1982, when it went from a rare disease affecting a few gay men to a worldwide epidemic. 
Other diseases spread primarily by sexual behavior of homosexuals are known to medical science, and it is good health practice for all people to be aware of them:
- "PPNG first appeared in the Philippines among a sexually active core group of prostitutes and servicemen in and around U.S. military bases where many women habitually took black market penicillin as a prophylactic treatment ..."
Men and Women
- "Common sexual practices among gay men lead to numerous STDs and physical injuries, some of which are virtually unknown in the heterosexual population. Lesbians are also at higher risk for STDs.
It is common for some people who self-identify as lesbians to actually be bisexuals. Dr. John Diggs reported: "Australian investigators reported that lesbian women were 4.5 times more likely to have had more than 50 lifetime male partners than heterosexual women (9 percent of lesbians versus 2 percent of heterosexual women); and 93 percent of women who identified themselves as lesbian reported a history of sex with men." It was further reported concerning self reported "lesbians": "In addition to diseases that may be transmitted during lesbian sex, a study at an Australian STD clinic found that lesbians were three to four times more likely than heterosexual women to have sex with men who were high-risk for HIV." 
Politics and public relations
The term "gay disease" was applied without prejudice. The term was in fact coined by a physician who was himself homosexual.[Citation Needed] It was only later that the term fell into disfavor.[Citation Needed] Organizations promoting homosexuality wanted to get the public to believe that AIDS was not just a threat to promiscuous homosexual men.  They used slogans such as "not a gay disease" to spread this idea.
- Extremely sexually active men who had sex with large numbers of other men unknowingly helped spread HIV in the early stages of the HIV/AIDS pandemic. ... Many people, however, remain unsure whether to blame gays for AIDS or to view them as unfortunate victims in a public health nightmare.
- The explosive spread of AIDS occurred when the known evidence about HIV transmission among Gay men was suppressed by the media. The medical science establishment did not speak up. HIV is most easily transmitted through anal intercourse, because the anus bleeds far more easily than the vagina. So one Gay man simply passes blood products straight on to the next. Sexually transmitted plagues have been studied scientifically ever since syphilis arose several centuries ago. We know how to limit their spread, but many Gay men have died as a result of political suppression of scientific medicine. The spread of AIDS was partly a self-inflicted wound. 
- The Health Risks of Gay Sex
- When the AIDS epidemic began officially in June 1981, it was widely considered exclusively a "gay disease." 
- Homosexuals and AIDS: a new approach to the illness. 1993
|Abuse • Acts • Agenda • Alcoholism • Anglophones • Animals • Arguments against • Beliefs • Bible • Brokeback Mountain • California ban • Causes • Choices • Civil union • Cross dressing • Cupid • Diversity • Domestic violence • Don't ask • Drugs • Ex-homosexuals • Gay • Gay pride • Gay rights • Greece • Genetics • Health • Heroism • Holocaust • Homophobia • Laws • Lesbianism • Media • Mental • Murder • Nazis • Obsession • Opponents • Outing • Overcoming • Quotes • Research • Revisionism • Rome • Schools • Scotland • Smoking • Society • Statistics • Teenagers • Therapy • Views • Violence • Persecution by atheists|