George Santayana (Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana) (Madrid 1863 - Rome 1952) Spanish writer and philosopher. As he was educated in the United States and wrote in English he is generally considered an American writer.
- "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
- "A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world."
- The Sense of Beauty (1896)
- Three Philosophical Poets: Lucretius, Dante, and Goethe. (1910)
- The Life of Reason (The Phases of Human Progress), (5 volumes, 1905–6)
- Skepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
- The Realms of Being (4 vols., 1927–40).
- The Last Puritan (Novel) (1935).
- The Complete Poems of George Santayana (1979)