George F. Will (born 1941) is a sometimes conservative, sometimes moderate political commentator. Liberals feature him as a token conservative and (unlike real conservatives) he has won the liberal Pulitzer prize. His writings appear in Newsweek and the Washington Post.
Though he claims to be a conservative, Will holds some conservative and some liberal views. With regards to foreign policy, Will has proposed that the United States should withdraw all troops from Afghanistan and defended Barack Obama's response to the uprisings after the 2009 elections in Iran. He also criticized the Bush administration for engaging in warrantless surveillance and supported trials for detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp. On abortion, Will believes that the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision was unconstitutional, but thinks that the issue is unimportant, overall. He is also against the death penalty. He does, however hold the conservative views that tighter border security and a "path to citizenship" is best for illegal immigrants, and that gun ownership is a constitutional right. Economically, he has been critical of liberal economic policies and praised Reaganomics.
He is also a self-described "low-voltage atheist."
- "The Toxic Assets We Elected" (March 24, 2009 article in the Washington Post)
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/31/AR2009083102912.html
- ↑ http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/21/will-iran-foolish-criticism/
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/15/AR2006021502003.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/30/AR2005113001816.html
- ↑ http://www.nationalreview.com/ponnuru/ponnuru200311060839.asp
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/29/AR2006032902004.html
- ↑ http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/003142.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/10/AR2010091006374.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/03/AR2007100302003.html
- ↑ http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/10/george-will-smacks-down-paul-krugman-simple-reaganomics
- ↑ http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/02/13/george-will-is-an-atheist/