Gunnar K. A. Njalsson
|Gunnar K. A. Njalsson|
|Term of office|
01 July 2008 -
|Political party||Conservative Party of Canada|
|Born||11 January 1968|
|Religion||Russian Orthodox (Eastern Christianity)|
Gunnar K. A. Njalsson (1968 - ) is the current Governor (President and CEO) of The SPACEPOL Corporation, a Canadian publishing and government consulting house focused on national innovation policy, strategic intelligence and the creation of new services and products from research-based knowledge. He is also an administrative scientist and lecturer best known for bridging the worlds of Public Administration and Technology in his research and academic work. 
Njalsson grew up in North America and northern Europe leaving home at the age of 15 years. He worked evening jobs and paid rent from that age in cities such as Laguna Beach, California in addition to his regular schooling. Having lived in countries such as Iceland, the United States, Canada, Norway, Mexico and Finland, he was speaking seven languages fluently by the age of twenty. 
Njalsson began his university career in the United States at the age of seventeen and studied at universities such as the University of Texas at El Paso and Texas Tech University, originally majoring in Computer Science and Psychology. He would later complete his Bachelors and Masters degree in Finland, and is currently working towards a Doctorate degree. He also studied Science and Technology Management in Argentina at the National University of Quilmes. He minored in Economics and Computer Science and Engineering receiving highest honors. Despite receiving highest marks for his two first degrees at the University of Helsinki and having graduated with two degrees within two and a half years, he would never receive any scholarships or honorable mention from the University of Helsinki from which he academically distanced himself in May of 2007.
Njalsson was elected vice President of the Left Alliance Party branch in Espoo, the second largest city in Finland in 1998 and became President of the Espoo branch of the party in 1999. He was appointed to several committees representing the Swedish-speaking minority for 2001-2004 as well as being a deputy member of the municipal planning council of the city for the period 2001-2003.
He renounced his party membership in 2003 and would eventually become Classical or Social Conservative. In a communique, he openly criticized the Archbishop of the Lutheran Church of Finland for apologizing to the Muslim community in the wake of violence and protests against western interests in response to the Danish cartoons which ignited a furor in 2006. In 2006, Njalsson also published an open letter to the President of Finland, the Prime Minister and the Finnish Archbishop Jukka Parma calling for Finnish national leaders to discuss measures against anti-social and unethical behaviour which he warned is becoming an increasingly serious problem in the country. Njalsson held a position as member of the Board of Directors of the Writers' Guild of Espoo from 2000 to 2006 working toward greater public support of literature and culture. He is also considered by the city of Kauniainen, Finland to be a local writer.
Academic and Researcher
Gunnar Njalsson became one of the principle pioneers and researchers in the field of International Space Law in the Nordic Countries and worked from the Institute of Air and Space Law (the only such institute in the Nordic countries) at the University of Lapland in Rovaniemi, Finland from 2003 to 2004. Between 1998 and 2007, he traveled throughout the Nordic countries lecturing in Public Technology Management, Planning and Implementation of E-services and Space Law Development. He is an active member of the IEEE and a fellow of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL). 
Njalsson's research on public policy determination in the field of national innovation and technology programmes draws some ideas from the field of Cognitive and Occupational Psychology, in that he has in several works proposed that different interest and occupational groups may formulate problems and the solutions to the problems in differing ways in part based upon their cognitive and occupational background. Njalsson refers to this phenomenon as problem-solution mindsets and describes those with differing profiles for example as technocrats or econocrats.
A Canadian Corporate Leader
Main Article: SPACEPOL Éditeurs universitaires
Gunnar K. A. Njalsson founded SPACEPOL in 1998 as a spinoff project at the University of Helsinki and to unite researchers in Space Law and Public Technology Policy. In 2005, Njalsson converted the international volunteer network into a commercial enterprise. SPACEPOL was incorporated in 2008 as The SPACEPOL Corporation, was removed from Finland and is based in Canada remaining to this day a privately held Canadian-controlled corporation.
Major Works by Gunnar K. A. Njalsson
- Njalsson, Gunnar K. A. Technological Revolution as Political Coup d'État: Developing and Objective and Systematic Science of Public Technology Policy Analysis. SPACEPOL Academic Publishers, Quebec City. 2007. ISBN 9529950845
- Njalsson, Gunnar K. A. (12/05). "From autonomous to socially conceived technology: toward a causal, intentional and systematic analysis of interests and elites in public technology policy". Theoria: a journal of political theory (108): 56-81. Berghahn Books. ISSN. Retrieved on 2006-12-15.
- Njålsson, Gunnar K. A. (2005) Somewhere between Tech- and Sociodeterminism: Problem-solution Mindsets and the Hypothesis of Elites and Interests in Public IT Policy, Cuadernos de Administración, 18 (29), 33-51
- Njålsson, Gunnar K. A. (2004) Teknologisk revolution eller politisk statskup? Att analysera teknologins intresse- och maktaspekter (swe), Finsk tidskrift, 2004 (8), 475-481
- Njålsson, Gunnar K. A., Teknologin och makten (Technology and Power), Hufvustadsbladet (Swedish Language Daily) Essay Section, 12 May 2004
- Njålsson, Gunnar K. A., An International Legal Regime for Outer Space - Different Types of Regime Change, Masters Thesis (in Swedish), 81, September 1996
- Canadian Who's Who. University of Toronto Press. 2007.ISBN 9780802040619
- Marquis Who's Who in Finance and Business. Marquis, NJ. 2009. ISBN 9780837903583
- Radio västnyland (archived), Intervju med Gunnar K. A. Njålsson (An Interview with Gunnar K. A. Njålsson), Ekenäs, Finland. June 1992.
- Who's Who in Computational Science and Engineering. Saxe-Coburg Publications, Stirlingshire. 2006. ISBN 1874672180
- SSKH Informerar (The Swedish School of Social Science Information - Graduation Edition), May 1996. Helsinki.
- Hamodia (Jewish Daily), Discrimination in a Land that Prides Itself in Tolerance and Ethics. pp F3 and F18, 22 May 2007. New Jersey, London and Jerusalem.
- Länsiväylä, (New Party Branch President Likes to be near Nature), Espoo, 2000.
- Record of Appointments to Councils, City of Espoo, 22.01.2001. http://www.espoo.fi/asiakirja.asp?path=1;31;37423;37424;37425&id=22B4B0A804731F49C22569E400496423&Kanta=Kunnari\intrakun_e.nsf
- Vem och vad 2008 (Who's Who in Finland), Schildts förlags. Espoo, Finland. 2008. ISBN 9789515017505
- SPNW Research Network Newswire Service. Accessed and Printed 10 June 2007. http://www.spacepol.ca/spnw/index.xml
- City of Espoo, Writers' Guild of Espoo Biography Pages. http://www.espoo.fi/kirjailijat/suomi/njalsson.html
- City of Kauniainen Libraries, Biographies of Local Writers. http://elmerinfo.net/index.php?lang=SE&p=Etsi_tietokannasta&page=single_entry&search=authors&id=227
- Helsingin sanomat, Kilpajouksu Kuun ja muun avaruuden luonnonrikkauksista on jo alkamassa, Helsinki, Finland. Vesa Santavuori. Helsinki, Finland. 20 October 1996.
- Länsiväylä, Onko kuu jo kaupan? (Is the Moon up for Sale?). Espoo, 1999.
- Indian Government Expert Database in Science and Technology (NISSAT), http://nissat.inflibnet.ac.in:8080/experts/ Accessed and Printed 30 March 2004
- IEEE list of proposed Senior Members 2009. http://www.ieee.org/portal/cms_docs_iportals/iportals/membership/senior-members/update_files/smstatusmtglistjuly23.pdf
- International Institute of Space Law, List of Inducted Fellows. http://www.iislweb.org/docs/200406-IISLnewsletter.pdf
- Njalsson, Gunnar K. A. From autonomous to socially conceived technology: toward a causal, intentional and systematic analysis of interests and elites in public technology policy Theoria: a journal of political theory Issue 108 pp. 56–81. Berghahn Books. 12/05. http://www.berghahnbooks.com/journals/th Accessed: 2006-12-15
- Marquis Who's Who in Finance and Business. Marquis, NJ. 2009. ISBN 9780837903583
- Academic Links
- Literature Links
- Corporate Links