Hard money has two independent meanings. Both meanings stand for high value.
Economic "Hard Money"
In economic terms, hard money is usually gold and sometimes silver. Hard money policy backs up paper fiat currency such as dollar bills with the right to exchange the paper for the precious metal. In other words, hard money can be exchanged for a set amount of gold or silver. This was popular among conservatives in the late 1800s, and some conservatives, such as Ron Paul, advocate today a return to "hard money" (a specie standard based on gold).
Political "Hard Money"
In campaign finance, hard money means contributions directly to a politician-candidate's campaign for him to spend however he thinks best. This is the most direct type of campaign support that can be given to a candidate. Accordingly, it is the most highly regulated form of campaign expenditure.
- Essay:Invest in tangibles for Economic preparedness
- Soft money
- National debt: Federal Reserve System's Ponzi scheme of Quantitative easing-Debt monetization devaluation of Fiat currency through Money supply-Treasury bills bought mostly by China and Japan
- John Maynard Keynes' liberal Keynesian economics of Barack Obama
- Ludwig von Mises' conservative libertarian Austrian economics and Fiscal conservatism-Conservative economic policies of Ron Paul
- Economic collapse: Inflation, Agflation, Deflation, Stagflation, Hyperinflation, Panic of 1907, Panic of 1893, Panic of 1837
- Stock market crash (Stock market crash of 1929) leading to Bank runs and Great Depression (Economic depression)
- Economic bubbles: The Coming Derivatives bubble, Real estate bubble (Subprime loans, Bailout, Obama administration corporate bailouts), Dot com bubble (Tulip mania)
- Financial Crisis of 2008 leading to Recession of 2008 (Recession), Economic stimulus, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Recovery Summer 2010
- Obamanomics: Obamunism Economic planning of the Obama administration fiscal policy, Obama administration monetary policy, Obamacare, Federal funding via Crony capitalism (Obama donor list), Deficit spending, Similarities between Communism, Nazism and liberalism, Obamageddon