Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is located 10 miles from downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
On April 16, 1925, Candler Field started as abandoned auto racetrack and was converted to an airfield. Candler Field was named after its former owner's family, including Coca-Cola magnate Asa Candler. On October 11, 1927 Charles Lindbergh is given a hero's welcome as he visits Atlanta in The Spirit of St. Louis. On April 13, 1929, the city of Atlanta bought the land and changed the name of the airport to Atlanta Municipal Airport. William B. Hartsfield dies on Feb. 22, 1971 and on Feb. 28, what would have been Hartsfield’s 81st birthday, the airport name is changed to William B. Hartsfield Atlanta Airport. On July 1, 1971 the airport’s name is again changed, this time to William B. Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, when Eastern Airlines introduces flights to Mexico and Montego Bay, the airport’s first international service. To honor former Atlanta Mayor, the late Maynard H. Jackson, the Atlanta City Council legislated a name change to its current name on October 20, 2003. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport recognizes the visionary leadership that both William B. Hartsfield and Jackson has for the airport, promoting its growth as well as the significant role the Airport continues to play in the aviation industry.