History of New York State
see also History of New York City
- Blond, Becca, and China Williams. Lonely Planet New York State (2004) excerpt and online search from Amazon.com, a guide book.
- Eisenstadt, Peter, Laura-Eve Moss, and Carole F. Huxley, eds. The Encyclopedia Of New York State (2005) 1900 pages of articles by experts. The best starting point.
- Ellis, David M., James A. Frost, Harold C. Syrett, and Harry J. Carman. A History of New York State. (2nd ed. 1967).
- Ellis, David M., James A. Frost, and William B. Fink. New York: The Empire State (4th ed. 1975)
- Flick, Alexander C. (ed.). History of the State of New York. 10 vol, 1933–37
- Galie, Peter J. Ordered Liberty: A Constitutional History of New York (1996) online edition
- Hedrick, U.P. A History of Agriculture in the State of New York (1983)
- Jackson, Kenneth T. ed, The Encyclopedia of New York City (1995)
- Klein, Milton M., ed. The Empire State: A History of New York. (2001). the latest scholarly overview excerpts and online search from Amazon.com
- Roberts, Ellis Henry. New York: The Planting and the Growth of the Empire State (1904), survey to 1900 online from books.google.com
- Thompson, J. H. ed., The Geography of New York State (rev. ed. 1977)
- Alexander, De Alva Stanwood, A Political History of the State of New York (1906) 4 vol; detailed narratibve historyonline Vol I 1774-1832
- Becker, Carl Becker. The History of Political Parties in the Province of New York, 1760-1776. (1909). online edition online at books.google.com
- Bonomi, Patricia U. A Factious People: Politics and Society in Colonial New York. 1971. online edition
- Brooks, Charles E. Frontier Settlement and Market Revolution: The Holland Land Purchase (1996) online edition
- Countryman, Edward. A People In Revolution: The American Revolution and Political Society in New York, 1760-1790. 1981.
- DePauw, Linda. The Eleventh Pillar: New York State and the Federal Constitution. (1966).
- Fox, Dixon Ryan. The Decline of the Aristocracy in the Politics of New York. (1919), a broad political history 1770-1830.
- Gerlach, Don R. Philip Schuyler and the American Revolution in New York, 1733-1777 (1964) online edition
- Hanyan, Craig, and Mary L. Hanyan. De Witt Clinton and the Rise of the People's Men (1996) online edition
- Jacobs, Jaap. New Netherland: A Dutch Colony in Seventeenth-Century America (2005) online edition
- Kammen, Michael. Colonial New York: A History. 1975.
- Kenney, Alice P. Stubborn for Liberty: The Dutch in New York. (1975).
- Kim, Sung Bok, Landlord and Tennant in Colonial New York: Manorial Society 1664-1775 (1978)
- McManus, Edgar J - A History of Negro Slavery in New York (1966)
- Ritchie, Robert C. The Duke's Province: A Study of New York Politics and Society, 1664-1691 (1977) online edition
- Spaulding, E. Wilder. New York in the Critical Period, 1781-1789. (1932).
- Young, Alfred F. The Democratic Republicans of New York: The Origins, 1763-1797. (1967), a view from the Left.
- Alexander, De Alva Stanwood, A Political History of the State of New York (1906) 4 vol; detailed narrative historyonline Vol I 1774-1832, online Vol II 1833-1861 online Vol III 1861-1882
- Bruegel, Martin. Farm, Shop, Landing: The Rise of a Market Society in the Hudson Valley, 1780-1860 (2002)
- Cross, Whitney R. The Burned Over District: The Social and Intellectual History of Enthusiastic Religion in Western New York, 1800-1850 (1950)
- Gosnell, Harold F. Boss Platt and His New York Machine: A Study of the Political Leadership of Thomas C. Platt, Theodore Roosevelt, and Others (1924) online edition
- Huston, Reeve. Land and Freedom: Rural Society, Popular Protest, and Party Politics in Antebellum New York (2000) online edition
- Kaminski, John P. George Clinton: Yeoman Politician of the New Republic (1993)
- McCurdy, Charles W. The Anti-Rent Era in New York Law and Politics, 1839-1865 (2001) online edition
- Niven, John. Martin Van Buren: The Romantic Age of American Politics (1983)
- Shaw, Ronald E. Erie Water West: A History of the Erie Canal, 1792-1854. (University of Kentucky Press, 1966)
- Van Dusen, Glyndon, William Henry Seward (1967)
- Yellowitz, Irwin. Labor and the Progressive Movement in New York State, 1897-1916. . online edition
- Bellush, Bernard; Franklin D. Roosevelt as Governor of New York (1955) online
- Brown, Phil. In the Catskills: A Century of Jewish Experience in "The Mountains" (2002) online edition
- Connery, Robert H. and Gerald Benjamin. Governing New York State: The Rockefeller Years, (1974) online.
- Davis Kenneth S. FDR: The New York Years, 1928-1933. 1979.
- Doig, Jameson W. Empire on the Hudson: Entrepreneurial Vision and Political Power at the Port of New York Authority (2000) online edition
- Galie, Peter J.; Ordered Liberty: A Constitutional History of New York (1996)
- Gallagher, Jay. The Politics of Decline, A Chronicle of New York's Descent and What You Can Do To Save Your State (2005), conservative critique
- Hartzwell, Karl Drew The Empire State at War: World War II (19490 online edition
- Ingalls, Robert P. Herbert H. Lehman and New York's Little New Deal (1975) online edition
- Liebschutz, Sarah F., Robert W. Bailey, Jeffrey M. Stonecash, Joseph F. Zimmerman, and Jane Shapiro Zacek; New York Politics & Government: Competition and Compassion (1998) textbook online
- McClelland, Peter D., and Alan L. Magdovitz, Crisis in the Making: The Political Economy of New York State since 1945 (1981)
- McElvaine Robert S. Mario Cuomo: A Biography. 1988.
- Marlin, George J. Squandered Opportunities: New York's Pataki Years (2006) by Conservative party activist
- Moscow Warren. Politics in the Empire State. 1948.
- Munger Frank J., and Ralph A. Straitz. New York Politics. 1960.
- Mumpower,Jeryl L., and Warren F. Ilchman, New York State in the Year 2000 (1988)
- New York State Writers' Program; New York: A Guide to the Empire State (1940) famous guidebook by WPA online
- Pecorella, Robert F., and Jeffrey M. Stonecash. Governing New York State (2006) excerpt and online search from Amazon.com
- Slayton, Robert A. Empire Statesman: The Rise and Redemption of Al Smith (2001) excerpts and online search from Amazon.com
- Smith, Richard Norton. Thomas E. Dewey and His Times. 1982,
- Spitzer, Robert J. The Right to Life Movement and Third Party Politics (1987) online edition
- Stonecash, Jeffrey M., John K. White, and Peter W. Colby, eds., Governing New York State (1994)
- Thompson, John Henry. The Geography of New York State (1977)
- Ward, Robert B. New York State Government (2nd ed 2006), 512pp
- Zeller, Belle; Pressure Politics in New York: A Study of Group Representation before the Legislature (1937) online