According to evolutionary biologists and geologists, the Holocene is the geologic period we now live in. It is theorized to cover the last 12,000 years and all of human civilization (although not all of humanity). It covers the Neolithic to the Information Age, and was preceded by the Pleistocene epoch.
The Ages of the Holocene
- Neolithic - The New Stone Age. This is theorized to cover the advent of agriculture to the use of bronze weapons. Roughly 12,000 years ago to 4,000 years ago. However, Young Earth Creation scientists believe that the age of the Earth is far less than what is believed by evolutionists. Therefore, they consider the Holocene as covering the period from the creation of the Earth until 4000 years ago.
- Bronze Age - The Use of Bronze to make tools and weapons. 4,000 years ago to 2,500 years ago.
- Iron Age - This age is concurrent with classical Greece and Rome. It is during this age that Christianity first came onto the scene.
- Middle Ages - From the fall of Rome around 400 A.D. to the invention of the printing press in the 15th century.
- Renaissance - Increased interest in science and vast increase in knowledge due to the printing press. Exchange of ideas between cultures. This was the age of Galileo, Shakespeare, and Copernicus.
- Industrial Age - From the late 1700s to the early 1900s. This age saw the invention of many modern machines that we now take for granted such as the steam locomotive, automobile, telephone, and airplane. Working conditions were difficult and sometimes brutal during this era. This is what led Karl Marx to come up with communism. The idea was later twisted into a totalitarian dictatorship by the monster Stalin.
- Atomic Age - From WWII until about 1990, this era saw the invention of atomic weapons by the United States and the Soviets. This is the first time in the history of the earth that a single species is capable of destroying the entire planet.
- Information Age - Starting around 1990, the Internet began to be used by more people. Invented in 1969 by the US military, it became more commonly used by civilians during the 1980s and by 1995 the word "Internet" was beginning to enter everyday vocabulary. By 2000, high speed internet was beginning to become available and now billions of people all over the world are connected like never before. This is much to the chagrin of oppressive governments such as China and Colombia where ideas about freedom and social justice are being spread from Western Europe and North America into impoverished and oppressed nations.
Young earth creation scientists view
Young earth creationist scientist state that there are numerous lines of evidence pointing to a young earth and that the old earth paradigm is errant and has many anomalies (for details please see: Geologic system and Young Earth Creationism).