Homework Four Answers - Student Eighteen
1. Explain why the North supported higher tariffs, but the South opposed them.
The North supported higher tariffs while the South opposed them because the North had less imported goods then the South.
- No, not quite. See the model answers. (Minus 1).
2. Do you think that States have the right to leave the United States? Discuss, including a mention of “nullification doctrine.”
No, I do not think that the States have a right to leave the Union for two reasons:
a) What Jesus said in Luke 11:17, “Any kingdom which is divided against itself is headed for ruin...”
b) In the Pledge of Allegiance when we say, “...one nation under God, indivisible...”
4. Many say the War of 1812 was an unnecessary war. Your view, please?
I believe that the war of 1812 was necessary because:
a) It settled the issue once and for all that America was a free and independent nation.
b) Also it stopped England from pressing U.S sailors into service.
- Superb, could become a model answer.
5. Discussion: Do you think Jackson was for slavery, or against slavery?
I think it's very difficult to say whether he was pro, or anti-slavery. He was racist (he had sent thousands of Indians west, resulting in hundreds of deaths), he was not a farmer (most farmers had slaves), and he was a military man (most men in the military at that time do not care that much about things like slavery). So I think it is hard to give a definitive answer.
- Your support your position very well.
7. Identify the figures in the cartoon, provide an approximate date, and describe the likely view point of the cartoonist.
The figures in the cartoon are (from left to right), England, the Czar of Russia, and America.
I would say it's from about 1813-1820. I'd say that the view point of the cartoonist is that America should not trust other countries.
- Good analysis. See model answers also.
8. Describe something that surprises you about the map of the U.S in 1840.
I'm surprised that England still claimed land in North America (they had just lost two wars for it).
- Right, and excellent point about how England lost two wars already and yet still claimed land here!
H1. I think we overpaid concerning the Louisiana Purchase, and that it was unconstitutional also. Do you agree?
Yes, I do agree that we overpaid ( we did pay 11.25 million dollars for it), and that it was unconstitutional.
H3. Is it wrong for a politician to cut a deal with another politician like the “corrupt bargain” between Adams and Clay?
No, I do not think it's wrong, it's a stupid thing to do, but not wrong.
H4. It is said that Andrew Jackson was the first modern president. Why, and would you have voted for him?
People say that Andrew Jackson was the first modern president, because :
a) His use of the spoils system.
b) He was the first President to officially campaign.
No, I would not have voted for him if I knew of his personality.
- Grade: Terrific work. 89/90, with some excellent answers.--Andy Schlafly 00:30, 7 March 2011 (EST)