Homework Nine Answers - Student Seven
1. I think that the antitrust laws are good, as they stop trusts between businesses from happening. This keeps opportunities open for smaller businesses to start and prosper, rather than being held down by large monopoles. They also keep prices of goods low, as this promotes competition between smaller businesses.
2. I think that Imperialism can be a good thing if the country imposing it has good intentions for the targeted country. The smaller country benefits by being protected and the larger country benefits from the smaller country's resources.
- Good again.
4. I think the cartoon is of President William McKinley (the man) holding the Philippines (the child) near the cliff that leads to Spain. The world (globe head) is watching him to see if he would throw the Philippines back to Spain.
5. The “Cross of Gold” speech was given by William Jennings Bryan soon after the panic and economic depression of 1893. I do not think think that this speech had much of an impact as he never was elected to president.
- OK, but could explain what Bryan's position -- as expressed in this speech -- was.
6. I think that the U.S. involvement in Libya could be a result of yellow journalism, as the media was publicizing many reports about how cruel El-Gadhafi was to the Libyan people. This turned the American people against him, which could have been a contributing factor to the U.S. involvement there.
7. Grover Cleveland was the Conservative Democrat elected in 1884. He was very conservative and was only nominated to the Democratic party to try to win republican votes, which he did.
a. In 1893 Queen Lydia Liliuokalani was dethroned because she was only recognizing native Hawaiians and replaced by an American minister named James H. Blount. In 1898 Hawaii was annexed to the U.S. and in 1959 it finally became a state.
b. Probation was illegalization of the sale of alcohol in the U.S. This was caused by the WCTU. It was passed as the 18th constitutional amendment in 1919 and was later repealed by the 21st constitutional amendment in 1933.
- Superb, could become a model answer.
H1. I agree to the way America ended The Spanish-American War by keeping Spain out of the new world. I just don't understand why the U.S. payed $20 million for the Philippines after we conquered them.
- Great point in questioning about why the US paid (note spelling) afterward. (Also note: "agree to" should be "agree with")
- 79/80. Very good answers.--Andy Schlafly 15:08, 17 April 2011 (EDT)