Homosexuality and Parasites
Concerning homosexuality and parasites, anal sex can be an important risk factor for intestinal parasitism.
In 2006, the The Medical Journal of Australia reported:
|“|| High rates of intestinal parasitism are found in MSM [men who have sex with men] throughout the world.
Amoebiasis has become endemic in MSM in Japan and causes significant morbidity and mortality; complications such as colitis and liver abscesses occur more frequently in homosexual and bisexual men than in heterosexual men. Similar findings on amoebiasis are reported from Taiwan, with MSM at increased risk for invasive amoebiasis and intestinal colonisation with E. histolytica.
In 2001, The journal Internal Medicine (Tokyo, Japan) published an article entitled Amebiasis in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in which they declared:
|“||While the overall prevalence of amebiasis is approximately 4% in the United States, certain high-risk groups have a much higher incidence of infection and disease. Prevalence of E. historylitica or E. dispar in the gay population of New York City and San Francisco approached 40-50% . Some Japanese literature also showed homosexual contact was an important risk factor for amebic infection.||”|
In 1990 SD Wexner wrote in an article entitled Sexually transmitted diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus. The challenge of the nineties published in Diseases of the Colon and Rectum and the abstract for that article states: "....a host of parasites, bacterial, viral, and protozoan are all rampant in the homosexual population."
In 1985, the peer reviewed medical journal Gut, which is an international medical journal for gastroenterology & hepatology, had an article entitled The Gay Bowel authored by I V Weller which stated the following: "Guardia lamblia and Entamoeba histolytica have long been regarded as 'exotic' organisms, but are 'hyperendemic' among gay men attending STD clinics with up to 20 excreting cysts."
A 1980 article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal that discusses the subject of homosexuality and parasites stated the following in its abstract: "In a controlled study 67.5% of 200 homosexual men but only sixteen percent of 100 heterosexual men were found to be infected with intestinal parasites"...These findings suggest that the male homosexual community may be an important reservoir of potentially pathogenic protozoa."
- Parasites As Cofactors For AIDS - excerpts from the work of Dr. Richard Bowman Pearce
- New parasitic disease among HIV-infected homosexual men - Science Daily
- Gay men...Bowel syndrome: A report on parasitic infection in homosexual patients
- Pakianathan MR, McMillan A. Intestinal protozoa in homosexual men in Edinburgh. Int J STD AIDS. 1999;10(12):780-4.
- Esfandiari A, Swartz J, Teklehaimanot S. Clustering of giardiasis among AIDS patients in Los Angeles County. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 1997;43(7):1077-83.
- Letter to the editor - Locally acquired infection with Entamoeba histolytica in men who have sex with men in Australia, Damien J Stark, Rashmi Fotedar, John T Ellis and John L Harkness, MJA 2006; 185 (8): 417
- Amano K, Takeuchi T., Amebiasis in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Intern Med. 2001 Jul;40(7):563-4
- I V Weller, The gay bowel, Gut. 1985 September; 26(9): 869–875