| Horace Russell Ladymon|
(Former president of defunct
|Born|| July 16, 1929 |
Paris, Lamar County
|Spouse||Jo Jane Ramsaur Ladymon (married c. 1951-2009, her death)|
Horace Russell Ladymon (born July 16, 1929) is a self-employed investor in Shreveport, Louisiana, who is the former president of the defunct Beall-Ladymon Corporation, now Stage Stores, Inc., which once operated forty-nine department stores in five U.S. states.
Based in Shreveport, Beall-Ladymon was founded in 1951 when W. F. Beall and Ladymon's father, Raymond C. Ladymon (1908-1993), opened stores in five North Louisiana locations, including the Greenwood Road in Shreveport, Minden, Ruston, Jonesboro in Jackson Parish, and Mansfield in DeSoto Parish. Beall died in 1953, and "R. C." Ladymon, as he was known, wopeas elevated from the company vice presidency to the presidency. The company had thirteen outlets in Arkansas: Arkadelphia, Camden, Conway, Crossett, El Dorado, Fort Smith, Hope, Hot Springs, Magnolia, Pine Bluff, Rogers, Russellville, and Searcy. A store in the capital city of Little Rock closed c. 1993.
In 1974, Horace Ladymon became president of the company; R. C. Ladymon, the chairman of the board. The company began consolidating in 1992 but faced continued financial woes which prompted the sale to Stage.
In 1994, Horace Ladymon sold the company for an undisclosed amount of money to Specialty Retailer, Inc., of Houston, Texas. The former Beall-Ladymon outlets then began operating under the name Stage Stores, Inc. Other Specialty Retailer stores are Palais Royal, Fashion Bar, and an unrelated "Bealls" department store. Beall-Ladymon employed nationally more than four hundred full-time and another four hundred part-time personnel. Ladymon said that he had negotiated the sale with Specialty Retailer for more than three years: "Their merchandise mix and method of operation are very similar to ours, and they are committed to growth which will be beneficial to the communities we serve as well as to our company associates." Stage stores offer such brand names as Liz Claiborne, Levi Strauss, Elizabeth Arden, Jockey International, Guess clothing, and Van Heusen.
Ladymon was born in Paris in Lamar County in northeastern Texas. His parents, Raymond Cleo Ladymon and the former Lennie Adell Holcomb (1907-1966), are interred at Evergreen Cemetery in Paris, Texas. After Lennie's death, Raymond Ladymon married in 1969 the former Mary Katherine Bateman Allen (1919-2000), a native of Memphis, Tennessee. She is buried at Winnfield Cemetery in Winnfield, Louisiana. Her first husband, Lyndon Blaine Allen (1918-1963), was a son of former U.S. Representative A. Leonard Allen of Louisiana's 8th congressional district, since disbanded.
Until her death from cancer, Ladymon was married to, the former Jo Jane "J. J." Ramsaur (1930-2009), a native of Kerrville, Texas, and the daughter of Stewart Ramsaur, M.D. She was reared in Marshall in Harrison County in east Texas west of Shreveport. There are two Ladymon daughters, Debbie Auerbach (husband Dr. Mark Auerbach) of Easton in the Lehigh Valley of eastern Pennsylvania, and Becky DeKay (husband Roger) of Shreveport, and five grandchildren. Both Ladymons attended the University of Texas at Austin; he graduated in 1951 and listed his hometown at the time as "Marshall, Texas". Mrs. Ladymon is interred at Colonial Gardens Cemetery in Marshall.
Ladymon is affiliated with Louisiana Bank and Trust Company and is a member of the United Methodist denomination and Rotary International. In 1982-1983, Ladymon was the first president of the Louisiana State University in Shreveport Foundation.
- Horace Russell Ladymon. search.ancestry.com. Retrieved on January 10, 2015.
- "H. R. Ladymon President", Minden Press-Herald, Minden, Louisiana, October 5, 1976, p. 2B.
- Beall-Ladymon 2. Ruston Daily Leader (April 13, 1961). Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Kelly Ford, Beall-Ladymon stores change hands. Arkansas Business (September 26, 1994). Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Top Officials Will Attend Opening Here 17. The El Dorado Times (April 24, 1974). Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Lennie A. Ladymon. findagrave.com. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Raymond C. Ladymon. findagrave.com. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Mary Katherine Bateman Ladymon. findagrave.com. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Lyndon Blaine Allen. findagrave.com. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Jo Jane "J.J." Ladymon. easttexastowns.com. Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- University of Texas Cactus Yearbook 236. e-yearbook.com (1951). Retrieved on June 12, 2014.
- Past Presidents of the LSUS Foundation. lsus.edu. Retrieved on September 29, 2017.
- Horace R. Ladymon pours money into Democrat Senatorial campaign: Shreveport donor makes generous gift to Mary L. Landrieu (D). The Primary Post (August 8, 2010). Retrieved on June 12, 2014.